Rhododendrons

davfran

Are rhodendrons very invasive? I planted quite a few last year and this, in a weed infested area under trees. So far all have bloomed, any one know what are the odds of them survivng or should I move them to a more open area. Thanks

Depends on the type you have planted. Large rhodies are extremely invasive - they thrive in the climate here and have an advantage over native species because there are few pests that can attack them and the arrangement of the stalks and foliage is geared towards shutting light out below the leaf canopy, thus preventing competition from other plants.

Keeping them trimmed is one way of stopping this from becoming a problem. A neighbour at home planted about 7-8 dwarf varieties in a patio-style front garden and left them to get on by themselves. They grew to a very vibrant full potential, completely filling the flowerbed space and reaching a height of about 1.5m. They are beautiful when in bloom but biiig.

Not a plant for a confined area I think!

Trimming them may not be enough as certain species spread by the roots producing off-shoots which become new plants. It is very difficult to control and IMO should not be planted in this country at all. Take a look some time at the damage it has caused in Killarney, around Bantry and other parts of the south and south-west in particlar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhododendron

They are awful,they will choke the life out of everything,there are areas in Ireland where groups of people go just to cut back this invasive alien plant,the next year it is back just as strong,be careful.

THats what I was afraid of. I knew they were invasive which is why i used them to cover the weeds in a very unsightly entrance.
Should I dig them up and get rid of them, what should I plant instead?
Basically surrounded by fields,rushes brambles. What to do?
Thanks for the advice.
Can anyone recommend native shrubs that grow well under ash trees?

get them out! If any green fingered poster can recommend alternatives I'd like to know! I have quite a few inherited ones which work well as a screen but they grow like wildfire, and have to be culled drastically several times during the summer. They are as bad, if not worse than laurel. extremely persistent and invasive.

Back