Returning to Ireland from UK, possibly with late Irish tax return

33ontheroad

Morning all. I grew up in the UK, moved to Ireland in 2014 and became a naturalised Irish citizen in 2021, but then moved back to the UK for work. Now I'm thinking of returning to Ireland in about a year from now, and trying to buy property.

Not a property question though I'll be having those later for sure, but I wanted to know if I'm in trouble with my UK savings. I will hopefully have £80k sterling by the end of 2024, which was saved out of taxed earnings in the UK, but I didn't tell Revenue anything about it. Just packed up and left in 2022.

Haven't heard a peep from them yet but should I have filed Irish tax returns, and what's the damage likely to be? I always knew there's a double taxation agreement but stupidly assumed I'd have the benefit without taking any action. Never even gave Revenue my UK address.

If you received interest on those savings, then yes, it is possible that you should have reported that on your Irish Tax return

It's not clear what your Irish tax residency status is - it probably changed over the years as you moved back and forth and the filing obligation and tax due will depend on a your tax residency status, domicile and whether the interest was remitted to Ireland

Given the low interest rate prevailing for most of this period, I would assume that the interest you got was pretty small

Back