Returning to full-time work after freelance

Yunnan

Hi, I really hope someone can give me a few pointers here - I'd really appreciate it. I've checked online and haven't found anything - probably because I'm in a kind of grey area.

I left Ireland after college because I couldn't find work here. Returned last summer and have been freelancing. It hasn't gone that well and so I've just accepted a full time job. I haven't registered as a sole trader yet - I was recently going to but then this job came up. I want to pay tax on my earnings - not much, about 10k since September, but how should I do this?

Should I register as a sole trader for a day and then change to full time employment?

Is there some way that I can incorporate what I owe into my forthcoming deductions?

I also don't have a P45... Dunno if anyone has any idea how to get one? I have a PPS number though.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Just ring local revenue and get a certificate of tax credits. You'll need your new employer number. And you don't need a p45.

Have you a business name registered? Personally I would just wait until your tax return. Unless you plan to continue this work part-time?

There's a really good service from your local employment service where they give accounting advice...I did it for a year I freelanced. Cost 5 euro

Thanks for the advice. I haven't registered for anything so far. I don't plan to continue working freelance - haven't been up to much anyway.

Do you mean that I should now register as a sole trader and pay the tax in September, while working full time?

Then I wouldn't worry too much about it. You're likely to be under threshold anyway. Just leave it.

Back