Returned a garment from uk vendor - how to reclaim import charges?

zxcvbnm

I recently bought a garment from Uk for €170 - but subsequently returned it for a refund. UPS delivered it to me.

As part of the standard process, when the garment landed in Ireland it was held at customs. UPS emailed me asking me to pay import duties of €65 via their website. (My understanding is this is a new step due to brexit. Previously VAT would have been paid to the vendor at time of sale)

However - since i returned the garment I am assuming I get these customs duties returned yes? HAs anyone manged to successfully complete this process.

I wrote to revenue - they told me its is up to UPS. I got onto UPS - they told me it is up to the vendor to contact customs on my behalf. (which is never going to happen in a million years)

What is the solution here? HAs anyone done this before? Surely it cannot be this complicated?

Have people here have bought clothes only to return them?

If it is as complicated as it seems the I will never again buy anything online from teg UK unless i am near certain I will not return it.

I regularly order clothing from the UK and US and I believe most retailers state in their T&Cs that all/any customs/duties payable are sole responsibility of the customer. I've never tried (or believed I could!) claim it back on returned items but if Revenue are saying it's up to the carrier, I very much doubt it's possible to get back without a lot of effort/paperwork since a lot of it is made up of admin fees in any case.

I've had a couple of packages delayed this year from the UK due to customs duties not being paid and on both occassions I had make the payment to the courier (An Post on both occassions). Dept of Revenue says you must contact the courier

I got onto UPS they told me it is up to the vendor to contact customs on my behalf. (which is never going to happen in a million years)
I have zero expertise but it seems to me that it is the courier's responsibility as per the Revenue website here.

Write to UPS with details of:
  • The reason for your refund request, for example, returns or replacements.
  • Proof of payment of Customs Duties and VAT.
  • A copy of the invoice, and any other relevant documents.
  • Proof that the goods were returned, for example, an email from the seller stating that the goods have been returned.

Put in your bank details. It could take time but I am pretty sure they are obliged to refund you.

UPS's address is:

Unit 3
Mygan Park
Jamestown Road
Finglas, Dublin 11

Back