Return to college - media/journalism

D

Davor

I am considering going back to college to get a qualification in a completely unrelated area from my current degree and employment.
I came out of college in 2005 with, what I thought was, a good qualification. Within two years of qualifying the industry collapsed etc. & I had to emigrate. When I left I thought I’d be gone a year or two but with things at home going from bad to worse, I don’t see the construction industry picking up anytime soon. I am currently trying to further my qualification in construction but I would like to get in to media/ Journalism. I have no dependants or mortgage so I’m not too worried about financing the few years studying.
1.I would be 31 if I did go back to college; has anyone gone back to college at this stage of their life?
2.Has anyone ever undertaken a good journalism/media studies course that they would recommend?

1.I would be 31 if I did go back to college; has anyone gone back to college at this stage of their life?

My Oh left a very well paid job to go back and do a Masters at age 33. He is now considering continuing on to do a PhD - that could be another 4 years.

The number of mature students applying is going up and up. Its never too late.

Who pays for all these adults in college? I cannot figure how people can afford it.

OP not to dash your dreams but the chances of securing employment in media/journalism are very slim.

Thanks for the replies so far folks:To pay for it I'll be relying on my savings.Employment prospects might not be great, construction employment prospects are only going one way as well so I'm in a tough spot either way.

Thanks for the replies so far folks:To pay for it I'll be relying on my savings.Employment prospects might not be great, construction employment prospects are only going one way as well so I'm in a tough spot either way.

Davor - you dont say what your geographical circumstances are or your social welfare status but is there any chance you would be eligible for BTEA?

Also, you may be able to apply for assistance with the fees from your local authority - my OH was not eligible as when means tested my salary put him well over the limit - but if you are single with no income you may be able to get something.

Theres also the option of returning to college part time and trying to pick up a part time job in the mean time?

I'm curently working in the middle east. If I came home and managed to find work I would definately look at doing a part time course as it would make financing the whole thing easier. I'm single and would end up renting or living at home for a while if I returned. I'll look in to the grants available; thanks for that.

I'm 44 and just started a 4 year degree course. I resigned from my job, in a completely different field, after the birth of my son 4 years ago and have been doing night courses and a bit of casual work since, which gave me an interest in a new field.

I will qualify for a tiny maintenance grant and have my fees and "student service charge" paid this year by the CC. We have some savings and I expect I will work for summer breaks, if work is available for me.

Good luck to you in your decision

Just FYI - most journalism postgrads are heavily oversubscribed....DCU's is at least 5-1 applicants-places. And the qualification doesn't necessarily mean a job, media is a tough industry in a boom, much tougher now.

A friend of mine with an MA in journalism is working in a restaurant, has been for 9 months now.

Back