Return old TV when buying new one question

Samantha

We bought last weekend a small 14inch TV because ours did not work anymore. Now I am wondering can I bring back my old TV under the recycling scheme despite it is a 21inch, shop was saying no but I bought the same product ok not same size but still a TV is a TV no matter what size it is.

Any advice

Thanks

Sam

I would expect that you could bring it back under the WEEE scheme. If they are claiming that they only have to take back an identical TV (e.g. same type - CRT or flat panel - and same screen size) then I think that they are in breach of the scheme rules.

If you're in DunLaoghaire Rathdown and you use Panda and it fits in your green bin, it can go in there...

As far as I know all retailers are obliged to take in the used electrical goods without charge or question, the wee surcharge covers collection and recycling of waste electical goods, the likes of Powercity make it very easy as there is a depository area just inside the door for the goods you are returning.

yes they have to take it back. For example if you had an old Phillips Washing machine and you bought a new Zanussi washing machine the shop would have to take the old one back and couldn't say that they don't sell Phillips Washing Machines and would only take back old Zanussi machines.

As far as I know all retailers are obliged to take in the used electrical goods without charge or question, the wee surcharge covers collection and recycling of waste electical goods, the likes of Powercity make it very easy as there is a depository area just inside the door for the goods you are returning.
From the link I posted above - underlining is mine.
Distributors, i.e. Retailers, when supplying a new product, must accept back waste electrical and electronic equipment from private households free of charge on a one-to-one basis as long as the waste electrical and electronic equipment is of equivalent type or has fulfilled the same function as the supplied equipment ...
Obviously (?) you cannot expect them to take back, say, a hoover if you buy a new telly but it seems reasonable to expect them to take back a 21" telly if you have bought a new 14" one. If they continue to refuse it then see about reporting them (e.g. via the WEEE website).

Hi Samantha,
Not sure where you bought your new TV, but we bought a new one at the weekend and not only brought our old one back but brought in a few other old electrical items as well without any problems! As far as I know, the shop should also take back any bulky packaging (polystyrene, cardboard etc) that your new TV came in so I'd give the shop a buzz and clarify. I thought it was a legal requirement now that such shops had to have this WEEE scheme in place.

Good luck,
AnnieC

I bought a new kettle and toaster at the weekend and when I asked them about leaving in the old kettle and toaster they told me to drop it in any time I'm passing. Think the retailers are obliged to take them back.

I bought a new kettle and toaster at the weekend and when I asked them about leaving in the old kettle and toaster they told me to drop it in any time I'm passing. Think the retailers are obliged to take them back.
Only on a like for like basis (e.g. a kettle for a kettle, a TV for a TV etc.). If they accept other items not on a like for like basis then that's presumably at their own discretion. They are not obliged to take them back.

I purchased a new microwave and the old one was accepted by Powercity no hassle. As already stated like for like item. However if it is alot of hassle at this stage I would bring the tv to the local council 'bring/recycling' centre, it will cost 8euro paid by way of a bin tag in my local Fingal County Council facility. I realise it could vary from council to council....

Brought stuff up to powercity fine no questions they just had a big metal rack and bin to stick the stuff in.

No questions at all.

Back