Return of oversize furniture

N

NJ10

Hi, I bought a suite of furniture in a shop in Dublin. I got it delivered and discovered that it was too big for the room - it all fitted in - but with not much more room for anything else.

I contacted the shop immediately and asked them if they could do anything - take it back in exchange for something else - give money back, less a certain charge etc.

He said that he would talk to the boss. After a number of phone calls, it seemed that things were going well in that they seemed to be saying that they would take it back.

Now, today they have had a complete change of heart - they are not taking it back - end of story.

Do I have any rights here - where can I find out ?

Help

I wouldn't think you stand too much of a chance to be honest, as long as there is no actual fault with the goods the retailer isn't obliged to take them back.

Check the sale of good act though:
[broken link removed]

I've bought a couple of sofas for my place that isn't built yet, I asked when buying what if they are too big? The assistant said no problem, they would take them back and give us credit but not an refund which is fair enough IMHO. You may want to see about returning them for credit in the shop, they should be much more open to that than an actual refund or a discount.

Hi NJ10

The consumer does not have any rights when they change their mind about goods which they have purchased.

Often, the retailer, as a goodwill gesture, will offer to accept goods back and will offer a credit note or a refund. But this is entirely at their discretion.

Is it possible for you to go to the retailer and speak to the manager/owner directly? Face-face interaction often works well and you can clearly explain why you are returning it.

Failing this, I suggest that you ring again and ask to speak to the manager/owner. Explain that you would be willing take a credit note and pay for the delivery of the suite to be returned by their carrier.

Other than this, you really have no comeback unfortunately. Sorry!

I forgot to mention that there is one exception to the above. If you purchased the furniture from home - by mail order, phone, internet etc you would be entitled to a 7 working days' cooling-off period from the day that the furniture was delived to your home. If this is the case act quickly!

Marion :hat

Yes, you really should have measured first. It's a bit much to expect the shop to bear the cost of accepting back your goods including all the administrative hassle that entails. Having said that, if they valued your custom they probably would -- but many furniture shops really aren't in it for the long haul in my experience, especially the smaller ones.

They probably strung you along long enough to get paid by your credit card company, then suddenly turned less cooperative...

Let them know you will never be back, and neither will your family, friends or colleagues.

Back