Retrofit a back boiler : Worthwhile?

polo1

A friend is just about to complete sale of a new detached house (about 1700sq ft dormer ) which currently has OFCH installed. She was just wondering how expensive it would be to install a Back Boiler and whether this would really be efficient of not. She has two open fireplaces - one in the kitchen area and one in sitting room? Would this be a big job? Is it a sensible thing to do? Thanks, joanne

all depends on how near your pipes are. nowadays, stoves are the in-thing

All the advice we got was that back boilers take all the heat from the fire and offer little in return in terms of hot water. So I guess it depends, if you want the fire to heat the room then based on the advice we got (and followed) they would not be recommended.

You won't find many houses in Scotland with a coal fire but without a back boiler.

Fire still warms the living room, and there's a rad. in the living room anyway to top this up.
I had a real ding-dong with my own builders here - they were convinced back-boilers were inefficient. But in my experience, they're great.

You'd have to ask a plumber/heating engineer about retro-fitting though. Potentially a fairly big & messy job.

Back