retiring due to bad back

colmcure

Hi I have a bad back and I work with the county council.Im only 39 but in the last 4 years I have been out very frequently.What I would liike to know is if I leave what kind of lump sum would i be entitled to and would I also have a pension?With this pension would I also be entitled to a social welfare payment.i am with them 20 years now.the work just isnt suiting me anymore and when my back goes it is pure agony.there is no cure only meds and rest. im on 580euro per week gross.

just regarding social welfare payments.....

if you are medically unfit for work you can claim €188 per week Illness Benefit for 2 years max. This is not means tested and as you are working for 20 years you would qualify no problem.

Other non means tested payment is Invalidity pension €193.50 per week if you are permanently medically unable to work. You would qualify for this also based on your PRSI contributions.

from your job, any lump sum or pension would be in your contract presumably. Ask HR or your union.

I would have thought that redeployment to a job where there is less strain on your back would be the first step rather than going straight to the nuclear option of retiring on disability grounds?

Have your pursued this option with your employers?

just regarding social welfare payments.....

if you are medically unfit for work you can claim €188 per week Illness Benefit for 2 years max. This is not means tested and as you are working for 20 years you would qualify no problem.

Other non means tested payment is Invalidity pension €193.50 per week if you are permanently medically unable to work. You would qualify for this also based on your PRSI contributions.

from your job, any lump sum or pension would be in your contract presumably. Ask HR or your union.

This is correct provided that the person has been paying Class A PRSI contributions. Some Local Authority staff pay Class D PRSI, and do not qualify for Illness Benefit or Invalidity Pension.

I would have thought that redeployment to a job where there is less strain on your back would be the first step rather than going straight to the nuclear option of retiring on disability grounds?

Have your pursued this option with your employers?

Absolutely...

i have been told" there is no "light duty" and if im not fit for work then im not fit!"

i have been told" there is no "light duty" and if im not fit for work then im not fit!"

I am not sure that is an official line. Have you been to occupational health? Are you employed in a manula capacity, i.e. outdoor worker or professional/admin? What is your PRSI rate as that is relevant as per previous post?

Can I ask why you think you are entitled to a lump sum? You are unable to fulfill your contract i.e that work you were employed to do, so therefore you will be leaving your job- the position is not being made redundant.

Have you been sent to the company doctor, have you been in meetings with HR about the fact you are unable to perform the duties that you are contracted to do?

the lump sum would be my pension lump sum. no i have not gone to their doctor. im only thinking about my options yet. i just think that physical work is beyond me now and in the future. ont really know what to do?

You may to be entitled to retire on what's called permanent infirmity. You should contact your line manager who should refer to the occ health doctor.

Back