Retirement Planning Course

MeOleFlower

Hi. Its likely that following Cov (DV), many people will choose to retire rather than go back to the Grind. I looked for a Retirement planning course. Cheapest is €530. For a shop assistant this is very dear. Is there any online more reasonably priced courses for those on low incomes. It seems there are only courses available for people working in big companies who foot the bill for the course. Equality ! Not for some I suspect.K.

What exactly are you hoping to learn about?
Do you really need to go on a course?
The few people that I know who went on such courses said that they were useless.
I'd say you'd as good, if not better, info here if you posted a money/lifestyle makeover style post.
There may also be some useful info here:
I don't understand your comment about equality.
Some people get different benefits in different work contexts.
So what?

Last edited:
Thanks Clubman. Lots of great information here.
I did work in a company in 1980s that sent staff automatically on a PRC 5 years before usual retirement age. Concentrates the mind. Gives breathing space to try to adjust your financial / emotional positions if needs be.
I figure if you learn 1 really useful thing at a PRC, the piece of education is Gold.
I feel that from a psycholigical and financial perspective everyone ( including stay at home significant others ) should have access to a Pre Retirement Course. For such an Important Life Event money shouldn't be a barrier as it is for me on a low wage. And if these courses need a "Relevance Overhaul" that also should be addressed.
Apologies for my disconnected posting. Leaving cert English inner city school......or Borstal almost! Kev

Personally I doubt that you'll learn much on such a course that you can't get from resources like I've linked to above or by reading existing threads and asking questions here.
But if you think it's worth a punt on one then I guess that you'll just have to stump up the fee.
I'm not sure that paying €500+ to learn one thing is worth it. But that's just my opinion.

Thanks Clubman. Askaboutmoney is defo
a top notch resource. and the money makeover etc. certainly will take care of many of my questions. Thanks again for taking the time to reply. Defo learned. Kec

Hi Carnmore.
"Now that the threat from Covid is hopefully receeding. DV is just a throw back to Ireland pre 1979..we used to use it as a shorthand for the 'Latin:- Deo Volente'....God Willing....or le Cunamh De in Irish. Kev

Another thread here that might be of help

I'm sure there is a few more on AAM use the search function to find more but if you have any specific questions just ask

The great thing that I find about AAM is there is a wealth of information from genuine posters from all walks of life that are willing to help and share their own experiences and knowledge

Hi Kev,

How are you fixed financially for retirement? It's an important element in retirement preparedness. I say this because you seem to place a lot of value on doing such a course but if you haven't the money to spend on something like this, maybe you haven't quite enough financial assets to hang up your cash register just yet?

Thanks for that jasdpace. Good point. And also Cervelo. Both very positive. Food for thought. Have to have a double check on the finances. Kev.

Back