Retirement and Social Welfare question

Norway

Hello all, my wife has recently retired from nursing at 60 (pre 2004). As per instructions she has signed on for Jobseeker's benefit, however, she has been informed that she will not be paid for the first nine weeks. She has appealed this, but the appeal goes to the same person that made the initial decision, so not expecting any change. I have two questions: 1. Has anyone else experienced this? 2. Will she be able to claim supplementary pension from the HSE for the nine weeks should SW dig in their heels?

All responses appreciated. TIA

Hello all, my wife has recently retired from nursing at 60 (pre 2004). As per instructions she has signed on for Jobseeker's benefit, however, she has been informed that she will not be paid for the first nine weeks. She has appealed this, but the appeal goes to the same person that made the initial decision, so not expecting any change. I have two questions: 1. Has anyone else experienced this? 2. Will she be able to claim supplementary pension from the HSE for the nine weeks should SW dig in their heels?

All responses appreciated. TIA
Your wife stopped working on her own free will. The rules are clear on this- no money for 9 weeks. This procedure is the normal thing. She can complain as much as she likes. It won't change a thing.
Here is something about supplementary pension rules:
It is about people who worked in education- but the rules might be the same for other groups.

Last edited:
Nice attitude. Can you please explain to me how her previously retired colleagues, her teacher sister and others who have told her of their experience in the same situation were not deducted nine weeks. BTW she retired, as per her terms and conditions, she did not 'stop working'. It's not her fault that the HSE insist that she pretend to be unemployed and available for work.

Reactions: POC
Hi Norway,
I think you'll find your wife will still be entitled to the full 9 months job-seekers but has to wait 9 weeks before starting as she is deemed to have voluntarily left work.

Unfortunately, that's not the case Charlie. She has been told that she will not receive the first nine weeks of the 39 weeks.

If she rephrases her reason for taking early retirement to, "I left due to work related stress" she should be okay for receiving immediate Jobseekers.
She needs to tell the deciding officer what they need to hear.
If she has told them she has retired early because she simply no longer wants to work, the deciding officer is placed in a position of having to enforce the nine weeks delay.

Retirement after 40 years as per contract is not stopping work. Thank you S class, she did exactly that in her original application to no avail. She's really feeling as though she has been victimised. It's a crazy and unfair situation.

Retirement after 40 years as per contract is not stopping work. Thank you S class, she did exactly that in her original application to no avail. She's really feeling as though she has been victimised. It's a crazy and unfair situation.
If she stated that she left due to stress, she should win her appeal.

The appeal is not heard by the deciding officer who rejected your wife's Jobseekers application.

The Social Welfare Appeals Office (SWAO) operates independently of the Department of Social Protection. It provides an independent, accessible and fair appeals service in relation to entitlement to social welfare payments.

Was retirement actually compulsory at 60?

If not it is indeed voluntarily stopping work.
Leaving employment voluntarily does not automatically trigger the nine week delay.

A person can choose to cease a particular employment for many reasons, workplace stress is one such reason.

They can still be available for and actively seeking employment in a new stress free workplace.

You win. Goodnight.
I am not trying to win or lose, just ascertain relevant facts which you haven't supplied after being twice asked. My point is that if it was a non-compulsory retirement she could be deemed to have voluntarily left employment. I'm trying to help you to understand the mindset of DSP and the criteria they apply.

Otherwise the approach proposed by S Class above seems the most sensible.

I think some of the contributors here are generalising about social welfare - without being familiar with public sector retirement arrangements.
Many older public sector workers can retire and get their pension at 60 - it is not essential to have 40 years service. (The size of the pension will depend on the number of years worked).

I am not trying to win or lose, just ascertain relevant facts which you haven't supplied after being twice asked. My point is that if it was a non-compulsory retirement she could be deemed to have voluntarily left employment. I'm trying to help you to understand the mindset of DSP and the criteria they apply.

Otherwise the approach proposed by S Class above seems the most sensible.
Retiring at retirement age is not the same thing as leaving a job voluntarily. The state acts in bad faith when it insists that these retirees must sign on SW and pretend to be unemployed and SW acts in bad faith when, knowing the arrangement, it insists on treating the retiree as though they had simply walked out of a job. One thing is certain, and that is that all of these public retirees should be treated in exactly the same manner. No one should be made an exception of.

Retiring at retirement age is not the same thing as leaving a job voluntarily. The state acts in bad faith when it insists that these retirees must sign on SW and pretend to be unemployed and SW acts in bad faith when, knowing the arrangement, it insists on treating the retiree as though they had simply walked out of a job. One thing is certain, and that is that all of these public retirees should be treated in exactly the same manner. No one should be made an exception of.
This is the nub of the issue. The final pension is coordinated with state pension and the pension is topped up.

To access your full pension it is a condition that you have no entitlement to state benefits / state pension.

If your scheme has a similar form get the DSP officer to sign it. As DSP have decided that you have no entitlement. Handier than going to the post office every week,

Last edited:
Speaking from experience be very careful as in order to get ones supplementary pension, you have to exhaust all social welfare benefits, otherwise you may not get the supplementary pension from your employer for 9 months, a farce really

So, as I see it, someone retires from the Public Sector at 60 because its their NRA, and they have to leave.

They then have to apply for JB, knowing they'll be refused, especially if they are pre-95 Class D. But this refusal is needed to justify getting Supplementary Benefit.

Are all Public Sector employees entitled to Supplementary Benefit?

Back