Restaurants in madrid

IrishGunner

ok just landed in madrid & staying near Puerta Del Sol cant do search just looking for decent/reasonable places to eat & drink

There is a Spanish restaurant called chain called VIPS which is a safe bet, especially if you are with kids. Food is good and not too expensive.

If you are without kids, go to any tapas bar.

no kids just with miss gunner Had some paella last night Tried some tapas bars not the livelest unlike barcelona but will try more tonight

it is august so lots of madrilenos will be on holidays themselves. puerto mayor might be a good spot, there was a great cider/roast chicken hall i went to years and years ago that always had a great atmosphere, it was near atocha train station, will try and find it.

this place sounds interesting

cider place is casa mingo, basically all they really sell is cider, roast chicken and manchego cheese, great spot
[broken link removed]

Cheers did Vips did the job and right beside hotel also tried La Vaca Argentina and it was good value and you cook the meat yourself

Also did [broken link removed] Few good tapas bars around this area behind plaza mayor

Never got to do El Establo as ran out of time thanks anyway

Both decent enough and wine was reasonable ie cheaper than here

No if only Ireland would cop on to not charging mad prices for their wines :mad:

As dereko1969 said, Casa Mingo is a must. Then you have not far from Puerta del Sol the following that are more "modern" and still nice and unexpensive:

http://www.lagloriademontera.com/

[broken link removed]

As far as I remember, the owner's the same, so they're both the same, basically.

For something far more informal, I just remembered there used to be a place near huertas were they did hot dogs with guacamole that were to die for, but I'm not sure if it's still open. Anyway, you can go to the Plaza de Santa Ana and there you have a few options :)

There is a ribs restaurant called Ribs,
Dont leave madrid without trying them out, you'll come home with a suitcase full and pine for your next visit. Never seen anything like it.

Lucios is a very popular restaurant in madrid, bit more expensive. Across the road is his sons restaurant where the 'eggs and chips' isa legendary.

Back