Restaurant using teenagers & not paying them unpaid trial not explained to youngsters

Status
Not open for further replies.
small update on this - the mother rang back again this morning and asked to speak to the same person - this person came on the phone and denied that she had been the one the mother spoke to last night. (no doubt it was same person as she has distinctive accent). Now, first off mother asked her if she was happy with his performance she immediately said yes he was great etc etc. So the mother went on to explain how she wouldn't be letting this lie and has spoken to Nera et she also said that if she has to campaign against this restaurant she will. So, attitude changed immediately she says look the chef should have paid him i'm sorry it was an oversight etc etc. Denied saying last night that they do this as a matter of routine but then she denied it was her last night - bizarre stuff really. Anyway she said i'll ring the chef and ring you back - mother said no, you won't ring me back, you'll ring my son back and show him some respect etc etc. That was at 11 this morning has heard nothing since.

I have obtained the names of the owners and their addresses from cro, have got the form from Nera and am also setting about writing some honest reviews on websites. Mother will be ringing back later if she has heard nothing. The poor guy - he genuinely spent weeks walking around town and put cvs into almost every single business going - he feels very stupid for falling for this! - it's really knocked his confidence.

I agree with going for a meal in restaurant and not paying - might just do that, won't go joe duffy route - I would if it was me but the poor guy is mortified about the whole thing and I wouldn't like to make it worse.

The exact same thing happened to me many years ago. I applied for a job in a pub/restaurant and was successful. The owner wanted to see how I would work under pressure and invited me to work three nights Fri/Sun. He said nothing about it being a trial period.

I worked my brains out and was convinced that there was no reason not to hire me. You guessed it, late Sunday night the owner informed me that he was not happy with my performance and consequently he would not need my services again. He refused to pay.

Six months later (having made a reservation) I had a meal with all my family plus a few others. The food was good, the drink even better. When it came to time for the bill, I asked to see the owner. The restaurant/bar was nearly full. I invited him to make a public scene as I was not going to pay and I also added " I hope you do make a scene".

We all walked out thanking him for the beautiful meal and we smiled and smiled and smiled.

This trial thing is quite common in the pub trade as I know young girls that participated in it for a few nights and afterwards some got jobs and others didnt.

My opinion of it, if someone does a job it dosen't matter whether it is for a few hours or few days they should be paid for their time full stop.

It is dispicable what they did to that young chap and it should be highlghted in the media at least it will raise awareness about the whole exploitness of it.
Times are bad enough without these scum taken advantage of our vulnerable younger people.

If I was the mother of the boy I would not be wasting my time ringing, instead I would be turning up at the restaurant during a busy period and confronting who ever is in charge in full view of customers

If you have a local newspaper ring them up and tell the story, make sure the young chap tells as many of his friends, who will tell their parents and on and on.

Absolutely shameful practice.

I used to work in a hotel where they took people on unpaid trials but it was made clear to them at the start and they were never expected to provide their own uniforms. If they were taken on at the end, which they often were, the employment date was backdated to the start of the trial and they did then get paid for it.

Update - following phone call to her by mother , owner rang him and said she has money waiting for him if he wants to come in and collect it. So the mother said to him go in, collect your money and be very polite, thank everybody for their help etc etc - sickly sweet. So he did, she gave him €30 and he said 'thanks for the experience' she then walked away and as she did she said ".... ... "! unbelievable, he was lucky though he got some money, others won't be so lucky!

Well it's not actually a uniform as such that he had to get - it was chefs jacket and trousers - position was a porter type job so he needed the white jacket and he hadn't got time to get the actual trousers so he just got himself a plain black pair - not sure what he paid. She hadn't even got the decency to just give him the money and say thanks - she had to give it and say eff off! This woman is one of the directors as well!

I am disgusted about this poor chap!

I think he should get the cost of the jacket and trousers back as well. Unbelievable they made him buy these if they had no intention of keeping him on.

Would him mum not persue the cost of these as well?

Also €30 for 6 hours work is pretty grim.

You should get onto NERA now.

If he has been paid then he was employed and therefore should have gotten a payslip and a P45, not to mention a contract with his hours, working conditions, job description, holiday entitlements etc etc.

He could return to the restaurant with some friends and family for a slap up meal with all the trimmings. When it comes to paying, he can say "I won't be paying for that", and leave.

Mrs Firefly's work colleague did this once and it was class! The chef of a well-known, Dublin restaurant had unpaid bills (approx 300 euro I believe) and every time he was called made up excuses. Eventually, she decided to head to the restaurant for a lap-up lunch with her friend. Full lunch with champagne. When the bill came she told the waitor to send it to Mr X in the kitchen who she said would be more than happy to cover the cost. She said it was the nicest meal she ever had!

Would dearly love to know the name of this restaurant. Shameful practice, I've never heard of free work in a bar or restaurant and I've worked in the hospitality industry.

I agree with going for a meal in restaurant and not paying - might just do that, won't go joe duffy route - I would if it was me but the poor guy is mortified about the whole thing and I wouldn't like to make it worse.

Someone else has...just heard a promo for todays show where this will be the topic discussed...

Would dearly love to know the name of this restaurant. Shameful practice, I've never heard of free work in a bar or restaurant and I've worked in the hospitality industry.

I'd be grateful if the OP would PM me the name of the restaurant so I can boycott it.

Thanks.

Mrs Firefly's work colleague did this once and it was class! The chef of a well-known, Dublin restaurant had unpaid bills (approx 300 euro I believe) and every time he was called made up excuses. Eventually, she decided to head to the restaurant for a lap-up lunch with her friend. Full lunch with champagne. When the bill came she told the waitor to send it to Mr X in the kitchen who she said would be more than happy to cover the cost. She said it was the nicest meal she ever had!

I'm not sure it would be fair to punish an employer for the (presumably personal) indiscretions or debts of an employee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back