Restaurant Service charge (employee)

s
yeah but huge to him might not be alot to others
Regardless of what it is to others it's a significant amount to the OP. I don't see what the significance of the amount to other is or your point.

Whether its one euro or one million euro it's still the same matter at hand.

Hi all,
Just to keep you updated, the 4 of us floor staff had a meeting this morning and we are going to arrange another meeting with the Boss to see if we can come to some form of settlement.
If he does not compromise with us then we feel we have no choice other but to hand in out notices.
He has changed the terms of our employment with out our agreement and that can't be tolerated. Where would the buck stop after that ?
pablo74

Hi all,
Just to keep you updated, the 4 of us floor staff had a meeting this morning and we are going to arrange another meeting with the Boss to see if we can come to some form of settlement.
If he does not compromise with us then we feel we have no choice other but to hand in out notices.
He has changed the terms of our employment with out our agreement and that can't be tolerated. Where would the buck stop after that ?
pablo74

Have you a written copy of your T & C? if not IMHO I don't think you have much of a case. Tips aren't wages etc. walking out of a job in todays climate may be foolhardy but everyone to their own. best of luck with it.

As a former waitress who lived on tips I'm with you on this one Pablo, it's unfair of him to change the way of working. Best of luck on your meeting, united you stand etc. But you'll have to be prepared to walk - even if he backs down, he may slowly get rid of you one by one.

i think it also fair. why should you get a 1/4 each. all you do is carry out the plates, the chef's cook the food and the wash up clean the dishes. I used to work in a hotel washing dishes and the chefs or wash up staff never got any tips and it was always really unfair esp at race week when you could get 100euro tip from one person. no one in the kitchen ever seen any of it and it was always the wash up staff who were the last to leave. I think the boss has the right idea. fair play to him :)

I have been a waitress for donkeys years and have always made good tips although i never expect them. Wether it is right or not people do tip for good service most of the time and i would not refuse to accept. I can honestly say the work most of the time is back breaking. The waitresses were i work have the final say in who gets what and we are very generous but we dont give others the same as ourselves. It is the waitress that has to face the public and take the insults, moans and petty complaints. When the meal isnt good and the customer not happy you wont find the chefs out in the restaurant taking the blame. When the owners over book we take the flax for tables not being ready. The kitchen staff finish alot earlier than us as well. Two girls from the wash up decided to try waitressing for the tips alone and lasted one weekend.

i think it also fair. why should you get a 1/4 each. all you do is carry out the plates, the chef's cook the food and the wash up clean the dishes. I used to work in a hotel washing dishes and the chefs or wash up staff never got any tips and it was always really unfair esp at race week when you could get 100euro tip from one person. no one in the kitchen ever seen any of it and it was always the wash up staff who were the last to leave. I think the boss has the right idea. fair play to him :)

:rolleyes: Sorry Soldier but i have to laugh at your post :D..... if you please, will you read the full thread and get to know the full story of my situation before casting silly remarks as highlighted above.... thanks.. good man ;)

Just to let the proper posters of this thread know the latest on the ordeal .... we (the floor staff) and the Boss had a meeting last night and all was resolved. We told him how unhappy we were at his new policy and that when we agreed to work there, the tips were to be divided 4 ways. Anyhow we came to an agreement to give the kitchen staff their 1/4 and a %%%%% on top which they were happy to agree with.
Saga over and thank you all for posting your feelings on the matter ( including Soldier ;))

Pablo74

Just to update my comment on paying PAYE and EE & ER PRSI on the tips. From the 1st of September VAT at 13.5% should also be deducted.

Don't start slagging other people's work or they might take it badly :p

The Minister stated on Marian Finucane's RTE 1 radio show yesterday that tax on tipping does not apply in Ireland.

Might want to check out the script of the show on RTE.ie

The Minister stated on Marian Finucane's RTE 1 radio show yesterday that tax on tipping does not apply in Ireland.

That must be news to Revenue...

PAYE and PRSI:

29. My staff get tips from customers. Some are cash from customers. Some via credit cards? How are they treated under the new arrangements?
Where the tips are routed through the employer, PAYE/PRSI must be applied to the amount paid (including employer PRSI). If tips are received directly from patrons, there is no obligation on the employer to operate PAYE/PRSI on the amounts received. (The employees are obliged to declare the tips received in their annual return of income). In the case of credit card tips the employer must operate PAYE/PRSI on the amounts of the tips received.

VAT:

[broken link removed]

Back