Restaurant in Central London

Carramore

I would appreciate recommendations for a nice restaurant in Central London for dinner for wife and me plus daughter and boyfriend. We're staying in Oxford St/ Park Lane area but could venture furtehr afield for dinner. I would like a good quality place but not too fussy. We eat everything! Any references to independent websites that I could visit to check places out would also be appreciated.

"Fifteen" - Jamie Oliver's place - taster menu. Though it's a taxi ride from Oxford Street, well worth it.

The reviews on Time Out's London Restaurant's section are generally pretty good ... there's a huge choice in London as you can imagine.

Wild Honey (just off Regent Street) I would recommend as a very good place to try - great food, good value, smart, but not fussy ... however i'd even more recommend having a look in Time Out and picking somewhere yourself!

Don't know if this is formal enough for your meal but if have enough time try and fit in http://www.busaba.com/. Maybe for lunch as it gets long queues in the evenings. Communal tables but their calamari and red lamb curry more than make up for this. I cannot pass through central London without eating here.

Try the hardens guide

Depending on budget..

Marcus wareing at The Berkeley is the best restaurant in London IMHO. It is formal (no jeans) but certainly not stuffy. The staff are very friendly, we had a good chat with the chef after our meal, the French sommelier even had a sense of humour! It was refereshing to have British and American staff, usually these restaurants seem to have a French staff only policy. It's a 10/10 for me but is expensive (blow the budget, special occasion only expensive!)

If you like Indian food, try Veeraswamy on Piccadilly Circus. It does a great Sunday lunch menu too - think it was 20 quid for three courses.

Thanks for all the tips. I'm about to make my final decision based on your recommendations. I will give you an update on my return! Incidentally, my daughter (through her friends) advised the Oxo Tower. I'm inclined to accept it, not only because I don't want to seem ungrateful to her, but also because we will be able to look over the city on a beautifiul evening and we will really know we're in London, whatever about the quality of the food.

London Restaurant

Would totally recommend Oxo Tower - its a lovely venue. Amazing views. And food was pretty good too!!!

Sorry for the long delay in giving my promised update! As you might have gathered from my last post, I opted for Oxo Tower for our main dinner. No regrets, it was most enjoyable, the view was terrific and it felt like a special occasion. The restaurant staff were also extremely friendly and helpful, contrary to some of the comments in reviews, so that was a special bonus. The final bill was hefty, but well worth while for a memorable occasion.

We managed lunch at Busaba, another of the recommendations above. Also very nice, but one of the vegetarian dishes was disappointing - I forget which.

Back