Republic not 'South' !

Re: Re:More memoirs from Madonna

I remember when we broke with sterling, I think it was around 1979.

I recall on one of my periodic visits to Andytown proferring some money in a local shop and being told "we don't take Free State money", no kidding. Only months before there was no problem with a Harp on the tail of a shilling, but those republicans certainly know what side their bread is buttered on.

Re: Re:More memoirs from Madonna

In other countries " republican " is a respectable word, but it has been hijacked a bit by Sinn Fein in this country. Republicans in Ireland often meant links with / sympathy for the men of violence. You would not call Fine Gael or Labour party members south of the border "republicans" even though they live in and are loyal to the republic of Ireland. Dissident republicans are those who blew up civilians at Omagh. Even though the official title of the 26 counties is "the Republic of Ireland", and this is what we usually put on postcards when sending them home, many people from the Republic of Ireland are not the same sort of "Republicans" as those in the republican movement, thank God.

The correct term for this state is "Southern Ireland" as this is the term mentioned in the 1920 Government of Ireland Act when the British set up this State.

The Republic was declared in 1916 to cover a state covering all 32 counties, however this was proscribed by the British and their allies in Ireland and remains illegal to this day.

Hi NM1

Not sure about that, why would a 1920 British document determine what the name of our country is, surely the subsequent constitution(s) and statutes would be a better source (although admittedly not definitive). Is it not like saying the name of the country is Hibernia because that's what the Romans decided to call it 2000 years ago?

It's our country now and we will misname it as we please

NAT

Re: Republic not South!

Wrong Navan Man.

The correct name for the State is "Ireland" (see Article 4 of the 1937 Constitution). "Republic of Ireland" can also be used (see Section 2 of the Republic of Ireland Act 1948) to describe the State.

Your both missing the point. The State we live in cannot be "Ireland" or "Republic of Ireland" as it only covers the southern 26 counties.
Ireland is an Island consisting of 32 counties and the Irish Republic proclaimed in 1916 is illegal acroding to the laws of the present state.

A more suitable name for the state we live in would be the "Former British Republic of Southern Ireland" or FBRSI for short, just like the Macedonian lads in the Balkens...

No, you're missing the point Navan Man.

The State we live in, pending the ending of partition, is Ireland/Eire, described as the Republic of Ireland, as stated in those two documents I quoted above. The 1916 proclamation has no basis in law, nor is anyone suggesting it does. Ireland/Eire and the Republic of Ireland are based on the foundation document of the State, Bunreacht na hEireann 1937, and on the 1948 Act.

Your insistence on the 1916 proclamation is a red herring.

Former British Republic of Southern Ireland .. yes I like that NV1 it's got a certain ring to it, it'll make visiting teams shake in their boots. FBRSI oh yes I can hear it being roared to the rafters of the National Stadium. By George NV I think you've got it!! thanks for the helpful insight and showing us the path to freedom,

but the fools, the fools, the fools! — they have left us our Fenian dead, and while Former British Republic of Southern Ireland holds these graves, Former British Republic of Southern Ireland unfree shall never be at peace
PH Pearse

Yes that's much better

FBKoSI

Should that be the Former British Kingdom of (Southern) Ireland?

Back