Replacing battery in '02 Audi A4.

deadwood

My car has failed to start and will only start with jump leads. I reckon it needs a new battery. It's a '02 TDI 130 bhp.

Does anyone know if there's any precautions i need to take before replacing it regarding on board computers, etc.?

Thanks.

You might need a radio code otherwise should be no problem.

I had the battery out of a passat 01 130 for about an hour while doing another job. Once the battery went back in all worked fine.

If you get a new battery make sure it is the same size and has the poles on the same side and same shape poles.

be careful lifting batteries they are heavy and can be a nuissance to get in and out.

Otherwise easy enough diy job.

Halfords will replace for you if you get the car there.

A battery change on a B6 model A4 isn't a particularly easy job, the battery is hidden at the back of the engine bay under plastic covers which have to be removed. Be better to keep the car powered up if possible as you can lose some of the settings such as one-touch lowering of the windows.

If the battery has suddenly started going dead bear in mind these cars have a known fault with the brake light switch failing in the closed position. The brake lights come on with the ignition off so the battery drains down overnight. A replacement switch is about a tenner plus the same to fit.

SSE

Thanks for the tips. Got it done once I figured out how to get the thing out! Just a simple matter of slipping off the rubber seal along the width of the engine bay and popping off the plastic cover. A long allen set required too.

Had noticed the "one touch" setting on the windows has stopped working. Do you know if there's a way to sort this or is it worth the bother?

I wasn't aware of the brake light problem either. Can't say I noticed this, but i'll be sure to keep an eye out for it from now on.

Thanks again.

Don't most audi's have a volt meter keep an eye on this

should be about 14 to 14.5 volts when the engine is running and the altenator is charging.

Keep an eye when you go to start.

Don't know about the one touch, didn't stop on the passat.

Probably worth google search

The one touch has fixed itself somehow.

I had googled the procedure and it always read a lot more complicated than it actually was.

Thanks for the help.

Back