Repair a torn shirt?

larry1

Is it possible to repair a small tear in the sleeve of a shirt. Brand new expensive shirt, my 5 yr old took a scissors to it:( . Only about 1 inch long but its right in the middle of the sleeve. Is it destined for the bin or can it be repaired?? Any advice?

Hi Larry! I'm sure if you went to a "proper" dressmaker they would be able to help you. if t can't be repaired how about making short sleeves??;)

If you ask in City Tailors, 57 Mary st, D/1 (01) 8734268 they might be able to do something with it. New York Dry Cleaners in Abbey St. might give you a recommendation also.

I think I saw a recommendation on AAM once upon a time for somewhere near to Grafton St. but can't recall the name. Perhaps someone else will remember it.

A small trick you could try yourself is to get a small piece of material something similar in colour/weight to the shirt. Use a small piece of [broken link removed] and as neatly as possible iron the patch onto the inside of the sleeve with the Wundaweb. Don't overlap the tear just draw it closely together. Hope this makes sense. If it doesn't work out there is nothing lost as you can just take the patch/wundaweb off.

You can buy the wundaweb in Hickeys.

sueellen said:
I think I saw a recommendation on AAM once upon a time for somewhere near to Grafton St. but can't recall the name. Perhaps someone else will remember it.
The company is called Des Byrne (tailoring or alterations or something). They're on a first floor on the M&S side of the street. I've used them for alterations and they are simply first rate.

oysterman said:
The company is called Des Byrne (tailoring or alterations or something). They're on a first floor on the M&S side of the street. I've used them for alterations and they are simply first rate.

See - takes a man to sort the situation out :)

Back