Renting to a family

noobie99

Folks,

I'm renting out a house and lots of response have been from familys (young kids under 5). Is renting to familys a definite no-no? Anyone got experiences to share? As usual, all feedback appreciated.

Rgds,

Noob.

You'll notice that the house will need a good painting as a result. Some presses in the kitchen may get damaged...
From my experience, a young family is better than individuals. Good luck.

I agree with OP. Individuals come and go and unless you tie one person into the lease, it can be difficult to keep track. As it's a house your're renting, I think a young family would be better.

Down Side:
If there are kids, there will be drawings on the walls, and cornflakes (with milk) stuffed down the back of the sofa. (Just like in non rented houses).

Up Side:
No large alcohol fueled parties until 5 in the morning. So no complaining from neighbours and no broken (as opposed to merely dirtied) furniture.

May be likely to want to stay a while.

Depends on the accommodation -
what sort of finishes do you have? Lots of carpets and a fabric living room suite? Then I'd decline.
Laminate, lino and tile floors with leather/ette furniture - then I'd accept.

Superman:
Leather suite, timber and tiles everywhere except one bedroom which has carpet.

Thought the place would get different wear and tear. Is that all I should be worried about? Any other pitfalls?

Without wanting to bait any racists is there a difference from experience in Irish versus other families?

BTW are drawn on walls etc. considered normal wear and tear so the deposit stays untouched? Is there a reasonable limit to how much/many walls are scribbled upon?

Thanks folks,

Noob.

Thanks for that jaybird. You sound like ideal tenants. I'll be keeping an open mind. The reason I started this thread is because of some recommendations I read (on this board I think) that landlords should be wary of pets and children - in a rental rather than general sense I guess.

Cheers,

Noob.

when I rent to families with young children I give them a large bucket of paint so they can touch up any marks before they leave and I provide throws for over the sofa etc, it has worked for me

My daughter lived in Munich for 6 months. For this time herself and some friends rented a apartment. It was in her contract that they paint all the walls before they leave. It seems this clause is in most rental contracts in Germany. The apartment was painted white and it had to be repainted white.

Back