Renting out my home but I return once a month - is this a house share

Are you suggesting that Revenue have published incorrect information in regards to rented residential properties & mortgage interest relief?
I'm suggesting that its your interpretation of it that is misleading.

The legislation does not mandate RTB registration as a prerequisite for entitlement to mortgage interest deduction.. It mandates compliance with the Residential Tenancies Act. As the Act excludes licenced accommodation arrangements, there is clearly no compliance failure and no infringement of that entitlement in the case of someone who provides accommodation under a licence, as appears to be the case here.

Last edited:
Be aware that

"The law gives a licensee the right to request the landlord to allow him / her to become a tenant provided:
  • He/ she is in lawful occupation of the dwelling.
  • A tenancy is in place for at least six months."
Can you explain a bit more in regards to your PPR being in London; did you live in the property in Ireland before moving to London?

when you return to Ireland, will the property become your PPR?

Also if you dont register with RTB, you can't set the mortgage interest against tax payable.
Moved to London 12 yrs ago- spend 20% of my time in this house in dublin. Rest in my London property which is my PPR as far as HMRC are concerned. I will return to this dublin house eventually.
I think most people agree it’s a house share and I don’t need to register which is what I wanted to double check in again
On a separate Pt am I allowed to ask for a copy of payslip and passport to prove ID and availing to pay- GDPR rules are very tight in UK and you need to register with a body etc etc

On a separate Pt am I allowed to ask for a copy of payslip and passport to prove ID and availing to pay- GDPR rules are very tight in UK and you need to register with a body etc etc
A payslip is useless as a form of identification. Anyone with basic payroll experience could rustle up a fake payslip in minutes.

Reactions: nbc
GDPR rules are very tight in UK
To the best of my knowledge UK GDPR followed EU; I don't believe they added anything.

As a private person, you don't need to register as a data controller, but you still have a duty of care in regards to anyone elses private data.

Best bet in my view is to get an employer reference; ring the main switchboard though, not a mobile.

Reactions: nbc
To the best of my knowledge UK GDPR followed EU; I don't believe they added anything.
That seems to be the case alright.
Does the GDPR still apply?

Yes. The GDPR is retained in domestic law as the UK GDPR, but the UK has the independence to keep the framework under review. The ‘UK GDPR’ sits alongside an amended version of the DPA 2018.

I'm suggesting that its your interpretation of it that is misleading.

The legislation does not mandate RTB registration as a prerequisite for entitlement to mortgage interest deduction.. It mandates compliance with the Residential Tenancies Act. As the Act excludes licenced accommodation arrangements, there is clearly no compliance failure and no infringement of that entitlement in the case of someone who provides accommodation under a licence, as appears to be the case here.

Is there not a revenue requirement to comply with rtb registration if the mortgage interest claimed is for a residential tenancy?

Back