Renting in Dublin - how much rent up front?

demoivre

Ok so how typical is being asked for 6 months rent up front plus deposit in south Dublin ? Daughter and some of her friends are UCD students and looking for off campus accommodation and that's what we were asked for on our first viewing yesterday !! In my naivety I assumed a deposit plus one months rent was the norm, which is the case with another of my daughters, also a student, who is renting in Drumcondra. Are landlords getting away with looking for 6 months rent up front in south Dublin.

That is crazy, are you sure you didn't hear incorrectly?? :eek:

there is no way that I would hand over that much in advance. You will find many posts on here about people having problems getting deposits back or in a timely manner. How would you feel if this amount was withheld or delayed for some reason if your daughter had to move?

I think if you contact the PRTB they will tell you this is not a good idea.

Are you sure it wasnt 6 weeks? I have heard of this before.

I have heard of landlords asking for 2 months deposit for students, but never 6 months rent in advance.

It sounds like he was not in favour of renting to students so effectively made an unworkable offer to you. Move on and avoid such people. Btw be very carefull handing deposits over as there are plenty of unscrupelous people out there just pocketing same and disappearing.

Thanks for the input folks and I concur with the views. Quite possible landlord didn't want students but in any case I wouldn't have gone with the arrangement as it's too risky. Even UCD do three stage payments ( daughter was on campus last year ) but this guy wanted two six month payments!

Back