Rent unpaid

G

Ger171

I am looking for clarification on the rights of a landlord in the case of unpaid rent. I understand that under the Residential Tenancies Act, in the case of non payment of rent, 28 days notice should be given to the tenant of a notice of termination.
However, I read that firstly 14 days written notice should be given to the tenant giving them the chance to pay, after which the 28 days notice is given.

I can find no mention of the 14 days rule on the PRTB website.

Our tenant has fallen behind with the rent -(not by much, but it has happened before), and I want to know how I need to act if rent is not forthcoming.

Thanks,
Ger

Hey Ger,

It is true that 14 days has to be given for the rent to be paid.

If the rent is then not paid you must give them 28 days notice to vacate the property.

I work in a letting agents and have come across this before. It is to be honest a pain in the ass for landlords in Ireland since the establishment of the PRTB. It takes PRTB approximatly 7 months for a case hearing (I have on going on at the momnet which was lodged in April and the hearing is the end of this month). Even with that they nearly always favor the tenant over the landlord, IMHO it is a joke and only another money making racket for the government......but thats another story!!!

make sure you registar the post giving 14 days written notice and then again the 28 day notice.that way you have proof that 1,you actually posted it and 2,the tenent recieved the letters.

Thanks all for advice. I had a stern word with the tenant and they are back on track now.

Ger

Hello,
I also have a property rented to 3 persons, contract was price per month, however, one tenant has moved out and the others have contacted me and told me that he hadn't filled his room & therfore they are only putting in their part of the rent.

Full House was rented, not rooms, what are my rights re the rent?
I was intending on holding back part of the deposit against the arrears - is this allowed?

I am probably a it soft that when the other 2 rang me - i didnt put my foot down there and then, said I would call next week to discuss the terms going forward as it was the full amount that was owed.

However, I am considering selling in the NY so am I better off accepting rent from the 2 remaining tenants and coming to some agreement that I am free to show the house as I wish? Better to keep them onside that looking for new lodgers? They were great up until now.

Back