Rent Relief

euro2000

A friend of mine is in rented accomodation from November 07 to present. They will be terminating their lease end of Oct and buying their own place.
Can they claim rent relief for 07 and 08? Or are they allowed only 1 years rent relief? (Which is what I think they can claim but just want to clarify)

Your friend can claim for both years but only for the amounts they paid in each year.
EG they paid rent for Nov and Dec 2007 say 1000 euro(500 per month) therefore claim for having paid that amt in 2007.
They paid rent from Jan 08 to Oct 08 10 months @ 500 so 5000 euro so they claim relief for this in 2008.

Thanks for that.

Friend is living with his girlfriend (Non EU student) who pays half the rent into his bank account and friend pays full rent from this. Can he put down the full cost of the rent per month and avail of the tax relief as his girlfriend only works part time and as a student pays no tax

I don't think he can do that, no. Or if he does, he should declare the money he gets from the girlfriend as income. He should only claim the portion of rent that he pays himself.

Sprite

Back