Rent benefit question regarding living with parents

François

Hi,

I currently live at home with my parents.

I pay €100 per week to my parents to cover my expenses for living at home. There is nothing formal, other than the fact I transfer €400 to their account each month.

My question is if I am on jobseekers in the future, will I be entitled to any sort of rent benefit to cover this?

Regards,

Fran

Thanks for your reply.

My parents are currently in a tight situation right now so I don't think I could afford to pay them rent and cover my own bills on just €195 per week in that case, if I end up losing my job which looks certain.

If I were to move to Dublin to look for employment and rent a room in a house would I be entitled to a rent supplement or is there a certain criteria that I need to met.

Surely you don't expect your parents "in a tight situation" to provide free bed & board.
Do they have 195 each to spend on personal items.

You should continue to pay a fair share

Talk about jumping the gun.I'm hardly going to do that. That is why i asked if i would be eligible for a rent supplement if i move to dublin. I'll continue to pay €100 a week to my parents if i remain at home regardless of supplement or not, i was just stating that i would find it quite hard to live on €95 a week myself.

You wouldn't be eligible for Rent Supplement until you've been renting for 6 months. You would have to go onto the housing list of the local authority.
There are maximum rent limits which apply - if you rent a property which exceeds the limit, you won't qualify for Rent Supplement.

You may also be asked to furnish evidence to explain why you've moved out of home as part of your application for Rent Supplement.

I know this is a slightly different question but can you claim tax back on rent paid to parents (as opposed to rent supplement)?

Back