Rent allowance query

bogartsqueen

I am renting a 3 bed apartment with my girlfriend and son.
We had one bedroom spare so when my brother lost his job he moved in with us as he could no longer pay his own rent.
At the moment he is not paying any rent as he is still looking for work which is fine.

My question is..... he has signed on as unemployment etc and wants to claim rent allowance. Does his name need to on the lease in order to receive this? I'm sure the landlord will have no problem with this as he knows we had the room spare and it makes no difference to him.
My gf is worried thou that if my brother claims rent allowance that it might in some way affect her loan parents allowance (as they will see that she's not paying as much rent as she originally said she was)
She is working part time herself on a fas scheme but does not claim rent allowance.

I don't think that her loan parents will be affected but I'm not too sure so if anyone has any info it would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

At the moment he is not paying any rent

I would have thought the above would remove any eligibility for allowance?

Also, from here:

"
Note
You cannot get a Rent Allowance if your rent is agreed between you and the landlord. The rent must have been fixed by the relevant court or Rent Tribunal."

Well he will eventually be paying rent as soon as his unemployment benefit comes through. He just wants to get everything sorted now

We are not living together as husband and wife.
We are living together as gf and gf and only have been for a couple of months. I do not contribute any money other than my half of the rent and bills etc.
So how is this fraud?

Back