Rent a Room Scheme - Removing a Tenant?

Grindle

I have tenant under the rent a room scheme in my house.

She is becoming extremely difficult and is behind with the rent by 4 weeks. Getting rent has been an ongoing struggle.

I want her to leave and have given an ultimatim that if she deosn't pay what she owes she must move out. She asked in a roundabout way how I was going to make her!

what rights do I have. from what I understand in normal tenancy, I can't change the locks. Is there any difference in the rent a room scheme?

There was no lease signed, and her deposit doesn't cover the rent arrears. She is also on Social Welfare benefit.

If anyone can help me I'd appreciate it.

Rent a room scheme = you do what you want...

This also means that private tenants living in your principal home are living under a "Licensee Agreement" not a tenancy agreement and are really only entitled to "reasonable notice" if you choose to terminate the agreement.

Full text here

Something similar happened to an acquaintance of mine a couple of years ago.

The normal rules don't apply to rooms rented under the rent a room scheme. It is your home and you can evict her any time you want having given her "reasonable" notice for any reason that you want. (How long is a piece of string - a week at max).

Contact Threshold who will be able to give you more definitive advice.

She sounds like trouble. Evict her at once and change the locks. Let her doss down on someone elses floor until she finds something suitable

Murt

edit - post crossed with bacchus

Back