Rent a Car in Spain and Drive to France

149oaks

In a few weeks we are flying to Barcelona El Prat and plan to hire a car and do some driving into France. I was about to book a car with Rentalcars and luckily asked about driving it into France and was told that with Firefly, Goldcar and most companies I can't without paying for an additional cover to include that.
Is this something new as I've done it before with no problem - maybe it's specific companies?
But also with the EU surely if you've cover to drive in 1 country that entitles you to drive in another provided it's also in the EU?
Any thoughts anybody?

Generally a surcharge I believe, I saw it probably about 10 years ago now when I did similar, so it's nothing new.

Normal. Also be aware that you and not the rental company are responsible for ensuring that the car meets all the requirements of French law - things like motorway tax stickers, first aid kits whatever.

Open to correction but think a breathalyser kit is compulsory in France also

It sure is and do yourself a favour do not rent from Firefly (see Tripadvisor) which appears to be worst car rental people to deal with in europe.

I've dealt with Firefly before in the UK and had no issues. In fact I got a 2014 Ford Focus from them. Very clean.

Just back. Spent 1 hour and 50 minutes in queue to Firefly desk in Terminal. Then another 10-15 minutes waiting on car outside. Drop off was also a long delay and saw another long queue in Terminal. So it's a balance of a good rate vs time queueing. Also bought freedom pack for €37 which allowed driving into France, an additional driver, Sat Nav & Full to Full Fuel. This was great value for 9 days.

Just noticed this thread and can add that in April I hired a car from Budget at Girona Airport without any surcharge for driving over the border. A first aid kit and hi-viz jacket were supplied. As mentioned you do need a breathalyser kit in France but they sell them in all service stations.

Back