VHI Renewal VHI Update Plans?

AlbacoreA

Not so much which is cheaper, but which is better plan without being significantly more expensive than current plan.

Currently mix of Adult Parent& Kids and One+Plan

Suggested plans, leave the kids as is.
Move the adults to Company Plan Plus 1.3 or PMI 3613 the difference being the excess, 150/50 or 75 respectively.

Suggestions?

Last edited:
AlbacoreA,

I am reading this as 'the 2 adults are on VHI Parents and Kids plan, while the children are on One + Plan'. Is this correct?

Adult Option
The 'PMI 07 10' plan is worth considering, (if Whitfield Clinic Waterford, or Kingsbridge Private hospital Sligo are not important);
Details as follows;
1. VHI PMI 07 10; price 1240pa; all public, private( 2 hospitals above not covered) and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered. Private/hi-tech excess
capped at 150 x 1 per year for all admissions and 50 per day case procedure. Good day to day cover, 50% refund for consultant visits, gp etc.

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...vY2siOmZhbHNlLCJwbGFuX2RldGFpbF9pZCI6LTF9fV0=

The children are ok on One + Plan.

Regards, Snowyb

Thanks for the information much appreciated. None of those clinic are important. Only one adult was on the other plan, there was an expectation of health issues which are not as much as concern anymore.

If one of the adults has an expectation of orthopedic issues knees back, hip etc in the near future does that change your suggestions.

Also one of the teens has a long term condition and will have a major orthopedic procedure soon, something with a long recovery. I was told to check out the "procedure code" to see is it covered. As its something out of the ordinary. But I assume it will be done under public if not. They are a bit vague about what procedures are covered. But I suppose I can't predict what they will need in future, in terms of future planning. in a few years they will be 18 etc.

Should I be concerned about the "certain orthopaedic procedures "

What is the swiftcare dental x7 visits. What do swiftcare dental do?

The main difference between the two plans seems to be the excess on in patient. One is 150 first visit the other 75 every visit.
Is there anything else?

AlbacoreA,

If one of the adults has an expectation on orthopedic issues, I would be thinking of switching to a Laya plan.
This relates to a hip or knee replacement surgery in a private hospital. There is full cover for this type of surgery in private or hi-tech hospitals
with most Laya plans. VHI plans have 80% cover for hip and knee replacement surgery in private/hi-tech hospitals. This 20% shortfall would
cost 2k or 3k per surgery. However, the Blackrock Clinic does not pass this shortfall charge onto the patient, which is one way to avoid this cost.

Laya suggestions as follows;
1. Laya Control 300 Create; price 1181pa; all public, private(including a private room in a private hospital fully covered) + 3 hi-tech hospitals covered,
Private/hi-tech excess 300 per admission, day case excess 125 per procedure. Full orthopedic cover in all private and hi-tech hospitals. Good day to
day cover, refund of 80 per consultant visit, 30 per gp visit, etc.

2. Laya Simply Connect; price 1230pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech excess capped at 150 x 2 per year for all
private/hi-tech admissions, day case excess 50 per procedure. Good day to day cover, 50% refund for consultant visits, gp, dental, physio etc
subject to a max of 500 per year. (50% of 1000 = 500).

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...vY2siOmZhbHNlLCJwbGFuX2RldGFpbF9pZCI6LTF9fV0=

Regarding the teenager with an impending major orthopaedic procedure, if you know the procedure code already, you can ask VHI to check out the
One + Plan to see if the procedure is covered and what private or hi-tech hospitals cover the procedure.
Laya member area allow you to input a procedure code to check if its covered and what hospitals carry out the procedure/surgery.

A couple of extra plans to consider for this teenager, with no excess to pay if admitted to a private or hi-tech hospital.
VHI One Plan Extra @ price 253pa and VHI One Plan Complete @ price 255pa.
VHI Company Plan Plus Level 1.2 @ price 300 per child if you pay privately for consultant visits.

The Swiftcare dental service is a full dental service for both adults and children. If you are stuck for a dental appt with a pain etc they will see to you.
Likewise, if you have no dentist, they offer the full range of dental services and you can sign up with them if needed. You can claim refunds for dental
if your health insurance plan has good day to day cover.
https://www.vhi.ie/swiftcare

Regards, Snowyb

Lot to think about there. Thanks again for your thoughts on it. I think I'll have to consider Lata next year. I didn't realise there was such a difference and for certain things.

I know when you switch plans on VHI it takes a while before a new plans benefits kick in, how does that work switching between providers.

Strictly speaking a 2 year waiting time applies, for new benefits only and for pre-existing illnesses/conditions only.
So, if you switch from your VHI plan with 80% orthopedic cover in a private hospital, to a Laya plan with 100% orthopedic cover
a 2 year waiting time should apply to a hip or knee replacement surgery in a private or hi-tech hospital if the person has symptoms/signs
in the six months before switching plans.

If this applies to you/spouse, there is always the Blackrock Clinic option to avoid the 20% shortfall costs.

Snowyb

Back