Health Insurance Renewal time with new condition

bagpuss

HI
We are a family of 2 adults and 2 children.
My husband was diagnosed during the year with a condition. We are currently with Laya with adults on Essential Connect Family and children on flex 500 explore.

The diagnosis my husband received was made at mater private which we did not have cover with and had to pay the costs directly to the hospital.

After trawling the internet, I have found Glo Health Nuture plan which I understand will give us cover in the Mater private but only in a semi private room.

Is it possible to get a plan without maternity cover?
I would also like to ensure we are covered for Orthopaedic and opthalmic procedures.

Is Nuture the best plan for us?

Are you sure you will be able to step up to the higher cover immediately with a new condition?

Sorry should have mentioned that I know there is a waiting period if we upgrade our plan. This is a life long condition so we can do the waiting period.
I am also wondering if my husband could go on a different plan to me?
It is all so confusing!

You can compare the plans side by side on the HIA site:
[broken link removed]

I'm not an expert here but I find HIA site invaluable at this time of year when health plans come up for renewal.

It's telling me you wouldn't be covered in Mater Private Dublin under the Glo Health plan - when I click the "Hospital List" list link under Glo Health it lists Mater Private Dublin as excluded. Mater Private Cork is covered.
Co-payment of €2000 & €300 excess in Beacon for orthopedic .

I don't see anything for Opthalmic cover for either plan - but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

I don't think you can get a plan without maternity cover as it would indirectly be a way of categorising risk and rating based on age and gender.

You don't have to insure entire family on same plan, although usually there are discounts available for bundling.

Maybe you should consider Laya Simplicity for your husband, it has much better hospital cover than either of the plans mentioned:
[broken link removed]

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Hi bagpuss

Àll Glohealth plans have a 2000 co-payment for orthopaedic surgery, so Laya are the best option for orthopaedic and opthalmic procedures.
Yes, you can be on a different plan to your husband, and if it suited a different company. The children can also be on different plans if it suited their health needs.

The following 3 Laya plans would be worth considering, they all include hi-tech cover including Mater Private, Blackrock Clinic and Beacon.
1. Simply Connect; Price 999pa, all public, private and hi-tech hospital cover, private excess on admission 150 x 2 = 300 per year maximum.
Good day to day cover for gp, consultant visits, dental etc - maximum refund 300 per person per year.

2. Simply Connect Plus; price 1099pa; same as Simply Connect; slight difference is private excess on admission is 150 x 1 = 150 per year max.
Day to day refund is 500 maximum per person per year.

3. Simplicity Plan; price 1050pa; all public, private and hi-tech hospital cover; private excess on admission 100 x 2 = 200 per year max.
Good day to day cover, first 100 not allowed. No max restriction on day to day medical expenses.

Day case excess on all 3 plans is 50 per visit.
Note; there is no excess payable on admission to any public hospital, just private hospitals or hi-tech hospitals.

There will be a 2 year wait for both of you, in respect of pre-existing conditions, for the hi-tech hospital cover on the above 3 plans.
Also, every plan has maternity cover, its a standard inclusion on all plans, even for men.

Childrens Option
1. Simply Connect; child price 239; all public, private and hi-tech hospitals covered, good day to day cover

Back