Laya Renewal Family of 5 - another increase

Juggler

Hi, long time lurker looking for advice on our Laya renewal, we've been with them for about 14 years but open to moving if there's better value to be had elsewhere, very hard to choose between all the policies on offer from all the providers.

DH has had previous back surgery in the Mater Private so we must have cover for this hospital, don't mind having to pay an excess in the event that he needs it. For the children I'd like them to have some access to some private hospitals, Clane hospital etc

All fairly healthy, no huge day to day expenses. A couple of GP & consultants visits a year.

Renewal is 01/09 - 2 adults currently on Flex 250 plus @ €1,048.33 each, 3 kids on Essential Connect Health @ €160. Total is €2,653.96 inc DD fee, its a big increase on last years €2,223

I was looking at dropping the adults to Flex 250 Explore @ €949.08 or Flex 375 Plus @ €999, but that only yields a max €200 reduction in exchange for a high day to day excess. I'd really appreciate any guidance.

Juggler,

Welcome to AAM.
There are a couple of options to consider to reduce costs. Details as follows;

Husband
I would recommend husband stays with Laya as they are best priced for Mater Private etc. If day to day cover matters to him, there is a better
plan worth considering;
1. Control 300 Create; price 1076pa; all public, private(including private room) and all hi-tech hospitals covered, inpatient excess 300 per admission. Good day to day cover, 1 euro excess, 30 refund per GP visit, 80 per consultant visit, dental etc.

2. Flex 250 Explore; price 949pa; all public, private and hi-tech hospitals covered. No day to day cover.
[broken link removed]

Wife - yourself
There are 2 companies to consider, Glohealth or Laya.
Glohealth Options; There is a very good selection of private hospitals covered on these 2 plans.
1. Kick Off Plus; price 825pa; public, selected private hospitals, just Beacon hi-tech hospital cover(No Mater Private or Blackrock Clinic).
Inpatient excess 300 per admission, day case 75 excess.

2. Nurture Plan; price 890pa; public, selected private hospitals, just Beacon hi-tech hospital cover(No Mater Private or Blackrock Clinc).
Inpatient excess 300 x 2 per year. Day case excess 75.

LAYA Option
3. Flex 250 Explore; price 949pa; all public,private and hi-tech hospital cover included, inpatient excess 250 per admission.
[broken link removed]

Childrens Options
There are 2 companies to consider, Glohealth or VHI.
Glohealth Options;
Glohealth have a promotion for 'Nurture Plan' children under 12 price 100 each. For children 12 yrs or older, Nurture Plus Plan is 140 per child.

VHI Option
One + Plan; price 137pa; public, private and hi-tech hospital cover. Inpatient excess 125 per admission to a private or hi-tech hospital.
NOTE; Children can be insured with VHI without the adults if required. An adult is just named on the policy but just the children are insured.

[broken link removed]

Hope this helps with your selections.
Snowyb

As a matter of interest, I'm with Laya and changed from FLEX 250 to Flex 500 to keep costs down etc. Got a recent renewal quote and it was up €400 (2 adults 1 child), was told by Laya it was a price increase. Checked market (HAI wesite) and queried it again. Turns out they had changed my membership number going from one policy to the other and "loaded" my renewal as system considered it a break in policy / community rating. I had been with them since BUPA! Anyway, got it sorted and queried previous payments, turns out they did this last year too and are now sending me a refund!

Only getting to re look at this now. Snowyb thank you so much for your detailed response, I'm interested in switching the children to Glohealth, do you know will they take children on their own or does an adult have to take a policy also? Will keep DH with Laya but switch policy and unsure about myself, veering towards Laya as they cover private rooms in public hospitals.

Thanks for the heads up pinkladyapples, I've double checked all the prices against the HIA site, we're also with Laya since they were Bupa, no discount for loyality! All are in line with the exception of the kids policy which is half the price quoted on HIA, I guess its a offer starting in Sept.

Juggler,

My instinct is that they don't allow children on their own, but it would be worth checking it further with Glohealth. My reason for thinking same is because they were insisting adults choose a certain plan to avail of a reduced child price on the same plan - which is incorrect. Children don't have
to be on the same plan as adults.
VHI definitely allow children on their own.

Regards, Snowyb

Back