Renew with Vodafone - will price increase in April

Ger1966

I'm currently with Vodafone (500 mb FTTH) and have no issues with it. I'm paying €30 per month, and I got an email from Vodafone yesterday letting me know that my contract is expiring in January and that the price will rise to €40.

I went to the Vodafone web site to see if there's a better deal than €40 per month and I didn't notice anything. One thing I did notice was that it said "In April of each year, the monthly price of your plan will increase by the rate of inflation (CPI) plus 3%". Does this mean that if I was to sign up for another 12 months - at €40 per month - that this €40 would increase in April even though I've signed a 12 month contract?

I see that SKY have an offer of €30 per month for similar speeds and they don't mention anything about the bill increasing, so I could always go with them instead.

Thanks!

I'm currently with Vodafone (500 mb FTTH) and have no issues with it. I'm paying €30 per month, and I got an email from Vodafone yesterday letting me know that my contract is expiring in January and that the price will rise to €40.

I went to the Vodafone web site to see if there's a better deal than €40 per month and I didn't notice anything. One thing I did notice was that it said "In April of each year, the monthly price of your plan will increase by the rate of inflation (CPI) plus 3%". Does this mean that if I was to sign up for another 12 months - at €40 per month - that this €40 would increase in April even though I've signed a 12 month contract?

I see that SKY have an offer of €30 per month for similar speeds and they don't mention anything about the bill increasing, so I could always go with them instead.

Thanks!
just port to whoever is cheaper, the service between them all is very similar, ive had 500mn ftth from sky, vodafone, digiweb and eir and i just go with whoever is cheapest at renewal.

Tell Vodafone you are moving to another provider and they will most probably come up with an improved offer

Just off the phone with them @jpd and best they'd offer is €35. My contract doesn't expire until the end of January, so they couldn't set the cancellation in place yet. I've a reminder set to call and cancel.

My experience of changing provider put me off for life. I am currently with Virgin but tried to move to Eir 18 months ago. Engineer came out and said he would have to run a cable all along the left hand side of our house around the back and gain entry to the TV point on the right hand side of the house. I told him it was not going to happen (wife would go ballistic with all these cables, I just knew better!) and because of that I am still with Virgin and paying over the odds.

Has anybody had an experience like that?

When we renewed last March with Vodafone €30pm for FTTC he told us the price was fixed for the year, no increases
It came about because the previous year they increased it by €5pm during the contract so we ask if it was going to be the same this year
So who ever you renew with see if there is an option to fix the price for the year to avoid the CPI increase

My experience of changing provider put me off for life. I am currently with Virgin but tried to move to Eir 18 months ago. Engineer came out and said he would have to run a cable all along the left hand side of our house around the back and gain entry to the TV point on the right hand side of the house. I told him it was not going to happen (wife would go ballistic with all these cables, I just knew better!) and because of that I am still with Virgin and paying over the odds.

I imagine that was because Virgin and Eir were using different infrastructures (cables, poles, underground ducts, etc etc) to provide the broadband

You don't say what service you were asking for - FTTC (fibre to the cabinet), FTTH (fibre to the house)

I imagine that was because Virgin and Eir were using different infrastructures (cables, poles, underground ducts, etc etc) to provide the broadband

You don't say what service you were asking for - FTTC (fibre to the cabinet), FTTH (fibre to the house)
As far as I know, it is fibre to just outside the house, pathway outside my front wall

You could hire an independent contractor to run ducting underground from the access point to a suitable point inside the house. The suppliers will only take the easy route which usually means external cable runs.

As far as I know, it is fibre to just outside the house, pathway outside my front wall
Either
1. the fibre goes to a cabinet, and then copper cable to the access point inside your house
or
2. the fibre goes all the way to the access point inside your house

It can't be just fibre to the pavement

Either
1. the fibre goes to a cabinet, and then copper cable to the access point inside your house
or
2. the fibre goes all the way to the access point inside your house

It can't be just fibre to the pavement
There is a metal box outside my front wall and I have a vague recollection of an engineer hooking up to some connection in there back 6 - 7 years ago. I think it is still copper into the house as I certainly would remember somebody digging up the drive!

Just off the phone with them @jpd and best they'd offer is €35. My contract doesn't expire until the end of January, so they couldn't set the cancellation in place yet. I've a reminder set to call and cancel.
Is this just for broadband service? I have been paying €40 this past year. They insisted on sending a new modem and a dongle at last renewal, despite me saying I didn't want either. Both are still in their boxes. No idea what the idea was as our service is fine. If they are offering broadband now for €35 I'd be delighted.

They insisted on sending a new modem and a dongle
Check you're not been charged for the dongle, AFAIK it's for the "always connected" feature and IIRC cost an extra €5 pm
We got it as a free add on but like you it's still in the packaging that they sent it to me in

Check you're not been charged for the dongle, AFAIK it's for the "always connected" feature and IIRC cost an extra €5 pm
We got it as a free add on but like you it's still in the packaging that they sent it to me
That's what I'm thinking will happen on renewal as I was paying €40 for the past few years and was told last year I was getting this dongle for a year free. I said I didn't want it but that didn't seem to be an option. I'll have no issue switching if they try to charge me.

Is this just for broadband service? I have been paying €40 this past year. They insisted on sending a new modem and a dongle at last renewal, despite me saying I didn't want either. Both are still in their boxes. No idea what the idea was as our service is fine. If they are offering broadband now for €35 I'd be delighted.
Yep, broadband FTTH @Marsha25. I'm paying €30 and will probably move to Sky FTTH for the same monthly bill.

Back