Renault Scenic Timing Belt Question?

hI I have a scenic 16 v auto from new 2000 w reg 59000 miles only every had renualt services.
last month broke down in the fast lane of the moterway had to cross five lanes to get to saftey as slip road was joining.
AA came told me it was the cambelt took me to a garage .
At the garage he told me its the 3rd car in here to day same problem its not the cambelt its the timing belt comeing of the the alternater?.
He said he has seen quite a few of then and heard lots more from other garages .
And it could be quite a expence job if the valves ect are damage and parts runing of the timeing belts are damage . He said you shuold speck to renault first .
I done sume reserch first and he was sure right there are lots of case all over the web sites.
So spoke to renault as one month before the five years was up i had a services with renault and ask why they did not advices me that i should be changing in my belts as there is a problem with the belts coming off they said it would not have help as the belts are coming the aternater to do with clutch or pully.
Ask if there is a safety issue here as i was luck that i got to safety they said you was not hurt ? ask what they are going to do for me they say as its out side you warenty tuff luck.
The cost of fixing the car as evary valve is bent ect ect £3000 parts and labour £1000.
This makes it cost more than the car is worth.
And have just sold it to the gargage for £500 and had to pay £250 for work to take of the head to check the damage.
The only coasre of action is to get renualt to admit theres a problem with a non servicable parts that failed out side the warenty that has caused the subserquet damage so i need all the help i can as there are lots of you out there that have had same thing happpen and for shaw there will be alot more. DEREK THANK YOU.

Nasty one Derek.

What did the suppling/servicing Renault dealer say?

I reckon they might share some of the cost with you if you handle it correctly.

€600 seems mad, I've a 98 Megane and I got a full service and timing belt change for €200.
Ask to speak to the head mechanic in the garage and ask him does he do nixers or do any of the mechanics in the garage do nixers, this is what I done the first time my renault needed attention and I get well looked after, now on my 4th renault and very happy with reliability and upkeep

Renault london west where i got car said they could try and get a new deal on new car free carpets? Renault uk NO HELP AT ALL EVEN WHEN I SAY I AN GOING TO THE CAR SHOW TO DEMONSTATE ON THERE STAND.
Untill it becomes a reconised fault that they admit to will they do anything.Derek

Fiona your engine probably needs decoked any mechanic can do it, its very simple it usually is carbon embers on the piston head that still is glowing when you switch off and thats causes engine to run on for a few seconds a few drops of redex in petrol would have cured it in the older cars

my 2001 1.6 scenic jumped the timing belt due to a cam belt tensioner failure,its only done 38k and is 3 weeks outside the five renewal or 72k time limt.renault costomer sevice basically said go away,its not our problem.its with my local renault dealer,i am awaiting the BILL,they have been slow to inform me of progress,and they did not even offer a courtsey car.will i buy a renault again.NO.

jbob said:
my 2001 1.6 scenic jumped the timing belt due to a cam belt tensioner failure,its only done 38k and is 3 weeks outside the five renewal or 72k time limt.renault costomer sevice basically said go away,its not our problem.its with my local renault dealer,i am awaiting the BILL,they have been slow to inform me of progress,and they did not even offer a courtsey car.will i buy a renault again.NO.

When you say you have talked to customer service who have you talked to - garage customer service or renault ireland customer service?

They prob say 5 years or 72k which ever comes first. I think that you have no come back on this.

Had similar thing happen to me. I have a 99 megane, belt on alternator slipped due to alternator pulley going loose. It got sucked into timing belt. End cost 1300 for repairs, 80 euro for the tow with a good independant.

Its just one of those things... Chance your arm with renault ireland though. You never know.

Does anyone know of any garages in Dublin which can actually change the timing belt/ (tensioner kit) on the old (pre 03) model Scenic. Renault them selves are having a special offer of €650 at the moment, reduced from €850. Plus €450 for a full service!

Shalom from Israel where my Scenic 2001 conked out in the left lane of the highway from Jerusalem to Tel Aviv and I was terrified. I had been warned that at seven years old and 78,000 kilometers I was overdue for the timing belt replacement. But when they told me it would cost 3,000 NIS or close to $850, I just couldn't afford it so instead I kept driving, could have had a horrible accident and had to be towed to the main garage.

My question is whether $850 to replace the belt which seems to cost no more than $50 is an acceptable price or exorbitant? I use the authorized garage but as a consumer warrior am not adverse to securing a little justice for those of us who are stuck with the Renault lemons.

Thanks for your time.

Idele

My question is whether $850 to replace the belt which seems to cost no more than $50 is an acceptable price or exorbitant? I use the authorized garage...

The main reason is the labour cost - the job itself is not difficult and the belt is cheap, but it takes a bit of time and a fair bit of dismantling to get to the T/belt. It's a pain of a job.

For a main dealer, the price you mention doesn't sound too outrageous - but it could be done for about half the price by an independent.

odd rev counter on scenic

If the rev counter starts jumping about I have found that this is a poor connection to the engine management system. Mine has done this several times.

Usually the engine is not changing its speed just the rev counter. Especially noticed on idle when it jumps about. The engine management connector is a large black connector on top of the control box. Best done with battery disconnected. Just unclip and replace a couple of times then it usually fixes it. Dont try with battery connected in case you short some pins. Expensive. Mat then have to recode radio.

Back