Renault Scenic 2004?

kiwifruit

Just wondering if anyone has any views on this make of car. I know Renaults dont hold their value on re sale and they aint as good as the reliable japs,nissan/toyota etc. Im interested in the reno cause of the rear seats are independent from each other which is great for child seats, it seems like the right car to get. I would like to hear all the good/bad stories about this make.They have a start/stop button,does this cause trouble ?all views most welcome
cheers

they are a great car for space..folding seats, loads of luggage ect. but not as reliable as jap or german cars....also the resale value will be about sixpence!

Avoid them. They cause a lot of expensive and niggly problems.

Maybe we're lucky, but we have an 04 Scenic (had it since new), and it hasn't had any real problems. We'll keep it another couple of years at this stage, to spread the (heavy initial) depreciation a bit further.

To the OP: a very practical car. Never heard of the on/off button causing problems. There's quite a lot of electronics in them, which is a bit concering as they get older, though.

At least they don't have the over-inflated values associated with the likes of VW, whose reputation for reliability is completely undeserved.

ang1170;7186 At least they don't have the over-inflated values associated with the likes of VW said:
thats rubbish...VW and german cars in general are super reliable.

thats rubbish...VW and german cars in general are super reliable.

By reputation only, these days. The facts, certainly in relation to VW, as can be found on independent surveys of actual reliability, don't back this up.

You're paying for the reputation, not the reality.

no car manufacturar can live on just a reputation these days!

That's the odd thing, though: VW in particular seem to manage.

Mind you, Mercedes are only now begining to recover their reputation for the battering their reputation took (with good reason) about 10 years ago.

Take a look at a survey based on warrenty claims (i.e. real figures, as opposed to heresay):

[broken link removed]

VW Golf at #36 out of 100. Two places above Fiat Brava.

It's a long, long time since VWs could be considered a super reliable car. Average at best is closer to the mark.

you can quote figures and stats all day....but there is no way renualt or any other french car has the build quality of german or jap cars....which is reflected in the poor resale value of french cars....about sixpence!!! they should stick to what they are good at..making wine.

you can quote figures and stats all day....but there is no way renualt or any other french car has the build quality of german or jap cars....which is reflected in the poor resale value of french cars....about sixpence!!! they should stick to what they are good at..making wine.

Maybe you should read what I actually said?

I'd agree with you that the (poor) reputation of Ranaults is reflected in their resale value.

I also pointed out that the evidence was that they are about average in terms of reliability.

Finally, I said is that the (good) reputation of some German cars, notably VW, is not based on objective evidence, and they are hence poor value.

How you can read this as me claiming "French is superior to German" is beyond me.

It's pretty clear from the evidence that the Japanese (in general) build the most reliable cars.

Back