Removing XP and installing Win 7

Pickle

Hi there can someone run me through the steps involved does and don't s,is it a matter of just uninstalling XP or can I just install the Win 7, cheers, will my documents etc be effected

Use the Windows 7 upgrade version and you should be fine. Removing XP and installing 7 from scratch is a much more tricky exercise and likely to require drive formatting of some description.

Got this from MS Support:-

This article describes how to remove Microsoft Windows XP after an upgrade was completed successfully by using a qualifying upgrade path, including the successful creation of the Windows XP removal files (such as Backup.cab and Boot.cab) during the initial upgrade.

Full details: [broken link removed]

I actually have the win 7 ultimate,
Use the Windows 7 upgrade version and you should be fine. Removing XP and installing 7 from scratch is a much more tricky exercise and likely to require drive formatting of some description.

I've done it on a machine, however I needed nothing from the XP machine, so just deleted all the partitions, and installed Win7, very striaght forward.
On a Vista machine, I took a backup, and again deleted all partitions and installed Vista, I didn't want to restore the backup, but cherry picked some stuff from the backup that I hadn't manually copied to an external harddrive.

Make sure you have backed up all your important files as installing Windows 7 over XP all but wipes the disc. There are a couple of ways to do this comprehensively. Also root out the installation discs of the programs you will want to reinstall along with any product keys. Disconnect any printers, scanners or external hard drives

Then simply insert the W7 dvd into your computer drive and follow the on screen prompts. Your computer will reboot a couple of times and you are done. Should take no more than half an hour depending on your setup.

Then follow the instructions to delete the windows.old file which takes up a lot of space and reinstall all your old programs. Reconnect your printer etc. and Windows 7 will fetch the drivers automatically and you are good to go!

Perhaps put another hard drive into the machine, set that as primary and install Vista to it. Your data would remain safe on the other drive.
Leo

So anything I have saved in my documents that I want to keep I should copy to a cd as I do not have external hard drive, what else would I be thinking of saving cheers,
I ran window 7 upgrade advisor and as I only have 512mb of ram the win 7 advisor stated I needed 1 GB of ram for 32 bit windows 7 for optimal performance,
This genuine win 7 ultimate only cost me 25 euro as I got it through a guy who works in Microsoft, Can you recommend best and cheapest place to make My Dell Dimension DIM 3000 upgraded to 1GB, I also would like advise on buying an external drive as might come in handy,what size etc is needed thanks,
Make sure you have backed up all your important files as installing Windows 7 over XP all but wipes the disc. There are a couple of ways to do this comprehensively. Also root out the installation discs of the programs you will want to reinstall along with any product keys. Disconnect any printers, scanners or external hard drives

Then simply insert the W7 dvd into your computer drive and follow the on screen prompts. Your computer will reboot a couple of times and you are done. Should take no more than half an hour depending on your setup.

Then follow the instructions to delete the windows.old file which takes up a lot of space and reinstall all your old programs. Reconnect your printer etc. and Windows 7 will fetch the drivers automatically and you are good to go!

Back