Removing Tinted Window film

dglav

I have a second hand car that has tinted/blacked out windows, its a tinted film stuck on. Has anyone ever removed this stuff, would it leave a residue on the window?

Had that problem a long time ago. If I can remember correctly, I just used a packet of stanley blades and 'shaved' the glue off. There is a scraper available that holds the blades.It was very tedious but worked in the end. But I had problems with the back heated rear window because its very easy to cut the little heating wires.
I think I remember trying petrol and thinners and different fluids to soften the gunge but none worked great. It was a mess.
Also be careful about winding down windows until all the gunge is removed in case the windows stick.
Do one at a time and dont cut yourself.

PS I think you have to prise off the bottom sill rubbers to remove some of the film as the film is usaully about half an inch below these. They just clip back on.

Thanks very much for the advice, I'll be careful its only the drivers door and passenger door, so it shouldn't be too bad. Cheers

there was a topic about this on road wars or one of those police shows in the uk a while back. It showed a police officer getting the owner of a range rover to peel it off which came off easy enough with his thumbnail and then he gave a top tip to heat the window with a hairdryer and it comes off real easy.

Back