Removing immersion tank

Red30

I recently bought an old red brick house and the immersion tank is in the small box bedroom which is taking up too much space. Our bathroom is quite small too so it's unlikely it'll fit in there. Somebody had mentioned that there is a way of getting rid of the immersion tank altogether. Is this correct? If so what is the alternative to an immersion tank and would it be costly to do the alternative?

Cheers.

I think you are referring to what is known as a Combi-Boiler. I had one put into my house partly to save space and partly because as the house is mostly empty during the day heating tankfuls of water seemed mad to me. I'm very happy with it; the new boiler is more efficient, it runs on gas and I was able to get rid of the old oil tank and free up space upstairs by using 1/2 the old 'hot press' as a built in wardrobe for the adjoining bedroom. I had a very small radiator put into the remainder of the 'hot press' so that it is still good as an airing/linen cupboard.

thats a good idea about the small radiator in the hot press. I want to get a combi put in a bunagalow but evrything I read has pros and cons and is the expertise available to fit them correctly?

noah

Thanks Kildrought that sounds similar to what I heard before. The addition of the heater in the old hot press is a v. good idea. Does your combi-boiler now mean you have far less hot water than you did with the immersion tank and is it more economical than before? Also, how much did the entire job cost you - parts, labour etc.

The boiler at the time was I think just short of €1000 (inc VAT). I think the plumber came to €1300 for 3 days work. A little over the odds, but he did work for me before and I was v. happy with the quality of what he did. No messing around and not finishing the job. This was about 3 years ago.

The hot press work was done by the best Dad in the country!

My overall gas bill (cooking, heating and hot water) comes to about €45 per month; c.1500 sq foot house, 1 teenager (never out of the shower), 1 proto-teenager (never goes into the shower!) and 1 adult (washes normally!).

The only real downside is it can take a while to fill the bath; we rarely use baths so that's not a problem for me.

Your gas bill is extremely low and enviable, what kind of insulation/ other energy saving measures do you employ, if you don't mind me asking? I spend (based on last 12 months usage and oil prices) about €85 per month on oil for central heating and water heating alone. This of course will probably double by the end of the month.........

Carpenter, I turned off the heating last May (I think) and haven't put it on yet - the back of my house is southfacing and it gets lovely & warm - opening the dble doors into the living room (at the front) is sufficient to warm it.

I reinsulated the attic about 2-3 years ago (laying another 6 inches on top of the existing) and I have dble glazing. The heating is rarely on during the day as we are all out and that helps also.

My bill is averaged out over the year, so the €45 is an average of winter & summer for this year so far.

Back