Remove transaction from credit card

leesider

Myself and my Dad stayed in a hotel on the weekend of the All-Ireland hurling final (22nd August last). We ordered lunch to our room on the hotels app on the day of the match. We wanted to have it just before we left for Croker. We never got it and after I rang to find out what was going on they brought it to our room.
But we were on our way out the door then so I said we can't eat it. I also said "That had better not be charged to my card".
It wasn't but I just checked my credit card online and the fee has been charged to my card (over two months later). I rang them to dispute it but they are stonewalling me and now putting me on hold and waiting until I hang up.
I haven't rang my bank yet about it but from what I have looked up online the transaction can only be removed by the individual who made the transaction.
I'd be prepared to cancel my credit card and get a replacement one (my bank did that once before when I was charged something fraudulently).
It would be a pain the behind because I would have to update my Amazon account, PayPal etc.
Also what would happen to the other transactions on my card? Would they be transferred to the new card?
Has anyone else had an experience like this and can they offer advice?

Why did you expect the food to arrive earlier? Did they break an agreement to bring it earlier?

You ordered it twice, got it once, how many times did they charge you once or twice.

You ordered it twice, got it once, how many times did they charge you once or twice.
They charged me once. The point is I ordered it on the app, it gives an estimated time of delivery when you complete the order.
A good bit of time had pased after that so I rang to ask where it was.
They couldn't find the order so I ordered again (there was still enough time to eat it before we left for Croker).
But by the time they delivered that it was too late, we had to leave, so I couldn't eat it.
I fail to see how I am at fault for any of this.

@leesider You have already been advised by @Thirsty above what to do if the hotel will not scrub the charge and that is to start the charge back procedure via your CC provider.

Discussing the ins and outs of the incident is somewhat academic and personally I have no idea what the price of the meal has to do with your original question or why it was even asked. Whether it was €10 or €110 does not change the fact that you feel you should not be charged at all for it.

Unless you specified when reordering the food that it had to be delivered by a certain time, you’re unlikely to get a refund imho.

I think it is perfectly reasonable to refuse the charge. The service sounds very poor.

Two things, there's no point in cancelling your CC as the charge "per se" is not fraudulent
You ordered the meal not once but twice, what happened after that is between you and the hotel and the service you received
The second thing is there is no point in ringing the hotel, you must make a formal complaint in writing about the service or lack of service you received in relation to the meal ordered. You need to do this because if you decide to instigate a charge back with your bank as Thirsty has recommended and I think you should, the first thing the bank will ask for is a paper trail of your correspondence with the hotel about the "wrongful" charge on your CC
I've only done it once sofar with Brittany Ferries when they cancelled my sailing in April 2020 and refused to reimburse me and the first thing the bank asked for was the correspondence that I had with Brittany Ferries and about a week later the money was in my bank account

But by the time they delivered that it was too late, we had to leave, so I couldn't eat it.

Did the food arrive before you left and did you accept it or send it back?

Unless you specified when reordering the food that it had to be delivered by a certain time, you’re unlikely to get a refund imho.
There was a time specified on the app after the order was placed as to when it it should arrive. When this time had passed I rang about it. They said they never got the order so I re-ordered.
Anyway I just looked at my statement there and they have refunded me. Fair dues to them for that, I will send them my thanks.

Back