Removal of a bedroom shower

foxylady

I looked recently at a house to possibly purchase and it has a shower stuck in the corner of one of the bedrooms .

Does anyone have any idea how much this would cost to remove and would it be very messy?

I think a job like that could get messy but I would look around and find a few contractors to give you an estimate

I was afraid someone would say that. I thought that but my other half didnt seem to agree

It's a lot easier take one out than put one in.

What type of flooring is in the room? Was it damaged/removed in the are the shower is? Was the wall around the shower tiled? Will you now need to remove those tiles and repair the wall?

If you were to put a built-in press in the space where the shower is currently it'd make a relatively easy job of it.

I presume it's an electric shower? Main issue you'll have is removing the electricity feed and terminating the plumbing. Anything else is straightforward DIY if you're any way handy.
Leo

I believe plumbing should be blanked off where it branches off to the shower. As a dead leg can lead to bacteria growing in the pipe.

It's a lot easier take one out than put one in.

What type of flooring is in the room? Was it damaged/removed in the are the shower is? Was the wall around the shower tiled? Will you now need to remove those tiles and repair the wall?

If you were to put a built-in press in the space where the shower is currently it'd make a relatively easy job of it.

I presume it's an electric shower? Main issue you'll have is removing the electricity feed and terminating the plumbing. Anything else is straightforward DIY if you're any way handy.
Leo

It is an electric shower with some tiling. Floor in bedroom is lino so would be replaced anyway

Sounds Straight foward enough. Is the bed room up stairs? Is the wall stud? If so it would be handy enough.

Is it a solid concrete wall or is it made from a wooden frame covered by sheets of plasterboard (stud)? Knock on it, the latter variety will sound hollow.
Leo

Is it a solid concrete wall or is it made from a wooden frame covered by sheets of plasterboard (stud)? Knock on it, the latter variety will sound hollow.
Leo

As the shower is in the corner part of the room it would have to be on concrete wall i imagine well part of it anyway as it is a back bedroom

As the shower is in the corner part of the room it would have to be on concrete wall i imagine well part of it anyway as it is a back bedroom

Not neccessarily, showers are often placed on stud walls. Timber frame houses use stud construction, even on external walls. Does it sound hollow when you knock on it?

Not neccessarily, showers are often placed on stud walls. Timber frame houses use stud construction, even on external walls. Does it sound hollow when you knock on it?

The house is approx 60yrs old so not timber frame. Any ide ball park figure how much this would cost to do in any case based on bothe scenarios - stud wall or concrete wall

Just remove and block off, rerender thereafter and make safe electric cables. Without seeing you should get out ut again of it for 100 Euro's but again you would have to see it.

Very difficult for anyone to price without seeing it. As one poster mentioned above, you will need to blank off the supply line back at the header as otherwise deadleg in it. Could take some time to find that. Also you need to ensure that the waste outlet is sealed as otherwise odour from the drain back into the room. I would think it would cost 200-250 as doubt if you will get one person that can deal with elec, water, tile removal, wall repair etc..

Back