relocating to South Co. Dublin - advice

M

mrsmaz

Hi there, we are relocating to South Co. Dublin - hubby has a new job in Sandyford ind est. Am looking at Dundrum/Ballinteer, Stillorgan and Rathfarnham/Marley/Knocklyon - only 1 car so looking for somewhere easy commute by public transport (or even walking distance) to Sandyford. Also though want somewhere with good schools and pre-schools and a nice family atmosphere with good facilities. We will be renting initially but would ideally rent somewhere we can afford to buy in a year or so.

We are both from South Dublin originally so know these areas but not to live in. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

The Luas is currently being extended to towards Cornelscourt, that may give you options of being further south if needed

The LUAS is being extended to the Cherrywood Industrial Estate.
I think you can see the route on the Dlrcoco website or maybe a LUAS website.
They are doing works at the moment at Glencairn Estate down from Carrickmines.

ONQ.

budget: rental wise I think approx 1200 per month don't really know yet about budget to buy but probably around the 450-500k mark.

Am really looking for feedback on areas (even as precise as estates) within these areas that you would recommend.

tks

With a low end budget like that, why not look at Balinteer? Easy access to Marlay park, Sandyford, M50, and Luas.

It can be a bit rough around the edges though

I would have thought this was a good mid range budget. I live in the area and would suggest The Gallops, Leoparsdown as the Luas will be opening right beside it and you can walk to the Industrial Estate. Try The Park in Cabinteely and other pockets of estates around Sandyford, Stepaside, Foxrock, Leopardstown, Carrickmines, Stillorgan, Cabinteely as they are in all within this budget now thankfully!

You might get something off the Upper Kilmacud road for that price now. This would be walking distance to Sandyford estate. Lots of schools locally and facilities and buses.

Hi

I would defo consider The Park in Cabinteely too. It has an 110 acre park, with excellant playground and other facilities. It has St Brigids National girls school which is also excellant, lots of kids activities locally, the luas is coming in nearby, 24 hr shopping at Cornelscourt Dunnes Stores within walking distance, on the n11 bus corridor, straight run into UCD and town by car. V v safe area- see other thread. Leopardstown race course and gym etc..Only downside is the pubs are not v exciting but still do-able.

Sandyford less then 10 mins by car. The Park is about 1 min off exit 15 on the M50
5 mins drive to Killiney beach, 10-15 to bray Beach, 15-20 mins to Greystones beach.
Shopping also at Carrickmines- 5 mins by car.
Nice free library in Cabinteely village, has good childrens section.

Last edited:
I live in Beverly in Knocklyon and work in the same area your husband is moving to. Commute time in the morning is usually less than 15 mins right now (will increase with schools going back, but not by a hell of a lot, and will decrease again once M50 upgrade works are done).

Thread on knocklyon here

With your buying budget, you should be able to get a 4-bed. A couple of years ago a 3-bed semi would fetch approx 600k (my neighbour's did), but I'd value same house at approx 350k now, so 4-bed well within range.

thanks for all the replies, I was a bit depressed when BeanPole said it was a low budget!

Kilmacud/Stillorgan is definitely one of the areas I've been looking at (I'm originally from Kill Avenue so it's a very familiar area but i haven't lived in South Co. Dublin for about 20 years!) Also, Knocklyon is close to where a lot of friends live so I've been looking around there too (actually a friend lives in Beverly and he would highly recommend it also) but not sure about public transport to Sandyford from Knocklyon. I know the 75 bus goes through some part of Knocklyon but I don't know if any estates nearby are nice and also is the 75 a reliable service does anyone know?

Also, are there any estates in these areas that you would say to avoid or would recommend?

MrsMaz

the 75 bus is a nightmare, you never know when it's going to turn up and it goes all over the place to get anywhere - I really wouldn't include it as a factor re where you're going to live. I'm from Ballinteer and would love to move back there. I think your budget is pretty good for what houses are going for in the areas you're looking at (even Stillorgan!) and I doubt you'd have much trouble finding somewhere you like. For example, saw this house on myhome, you may want something bigger but I think it's just off the Lower Kilmacud Road so would be handy for Sandyford Ind Estate and LUAS at Stillorgan stop [broken link removed]

M

Ps: Actually maybe that's a bad example, it needs a lot of work and only has one photo which says it all. Still gives you an idea of what you can get if you're willing to put the work in...

Last edited:
Back