Registered Charity - how does it work

Sumatra

Trying to get my head around this and I wonder if anyone could help.

Charity trip to a developing country. Basic rules are you pay €1,000 (payable to charity) for your flight, food, accommodation and you raise an extra €2,500 for the charity. Once you are in the country you do hands on volunteer work.

Charity is registerted in ROI but in their accounts I cant see any costings or deductions for admin, accountant fees, building rental, purchasing of flights etc. It worries me that there are no costs.

The proceeds are then transferred to a charity of the same name in the developing country and that is when I can't see how the transferred money is used.

I've always wanted to do voluntary work but I really hope the people I'm raising the money for are the ones to benefit and that it somehow doesn't line the pockets of someone who doesn't need it.

For: great cultural experience and an education, helping others, appreciation of life, feel good factor.
Against: Not sure how the money raised is really used. Feel good factor lessened by me questioning myself if there is a better way to do this.

Does anyone know how these charities work?

Thanks for your reply emeralds. I have their Irish accounts. Once the money leaves Ireland I don't know what happens it. Do you suggest I ask them for a copy of the accounts for the country they transfer the proceeds to?

I assume that you have a full set of audited accounts. I would have thought that your contributions would have been included in receipts and then the payment in expenditure.

Do you have the breakdown of expenses, it's usually at the back.

Back