refused rent supplement

naughto

i got a letter to saying that i was to be i refused rent supplement

because form the letter the landlord/tenant relationship is not the primary relationship what in gods name does that mean.i will/am renting form my brother any help on this would be great

Hi, sounds like as if they are saying that there is not a proper Landlord/ Tenant relationship there for you to be able to claim?

Have you signed a lease or tenancy agreement with your brother?

Remember that you have the right of appeal, the address to appeal to should be on the refusal letter you received.

no i dident think i would have to sign a lease tenancy agreement seein that he is my brother.i was going on the rent a room scheme.if i sign a lease agreement with my rother will that do.

Well, it will prove that you're a "bona fide" tenant, which is one of the requirements for qualifying for Rent Supplement - I'm not saying you weren't a bona fide tenant, but you had no documentation to prove it which is what the HSE are looking for.

The relationship between you has to be professional (landlord/tenant), rather than as brothers. Get the lease agreement and go back to the CWO explaining that you didn't know you needed one. If the decision is still the same, then appeal.

In general, you will not get rent allowance if renting from a relative. It must be an arms length relationship.

Back