Refused for Affordable Housing...

annpg

Hi All

I'm new to this site and I hope someone can give me some advice. I've just been refused for affordable housing on the grounds that my cc is too high - it's 6000 - they said I need to re-apply when its 500! I returned to full-time employment last year, after 3yrs on Lone parents allowance (that's when the credit card debt increased!!)- it's been a constant struggle with full rent (1000pm) and childcare (600pm) and I really thought this affordable housing but get me out of this hole! I applied to a couple of banks but was refused for a loan (checked with ICB tho, and am not blak-listed) to clear my credit card...I also have a credit union loan out from my old job (civil service) but I haven't told them that I've left that job yet...once I do, I'll have to transfer that loan/savings to a different credit union I assume...Most months I'm tempted to leave work and go back to lone parents allowance as I'm left with so little. I can barely afford my minimun payment on my credit card and it'll take a few years to clear it at that rate...short of me winning the lotto, has anyone any ideas???????

not really any use but dont think you'd have to change credit unions just cause you no longer work for civil service! i assume you are making payments now by direct debit rather than directly from pay? I used to be member of revenue only cu and when i moved into general service, no pay deduction facility for that cu, so have to make direct debits! I would imagine though that even with affordable housing, the repayments would be cose on €1000 per month, assuming you are in dublin and even if affordable housing still in the region of €200k, so you'd be saving nothing by owning over renting! are you not entitled to FIS now that you are back to work?

Have you investigated all your rights. Maybe you should be getting FIS (Family Income Supplement) or help with the rent.

Hi

Thanks for replies...I'm not eligible for FIS un4tunately, I'm on a fairly decent salary but it's just that it gets eaten up with rent and childcare! Affordable mortages in lusk are max 700pm at moment...(friend just got a 2 bed!) and as I have childcare ahead of me for a few years more (little fella is 4) I can't see any light at the end of the tunnel....I even went to Dublin City Council as I was on their housing list while living on OPFA and they told me there's not a hope I'd be housed by them for at least 7 years! I just don't get it..the State will allow me to leave work and pay about 20,000pa for me in rent allowance and OPFA and if they housed me (anywhere, in a one bed!) I'd pay my own way!!!

Hi Ann

You sound like you are really trying to make things work and deserve every encouragment and assistance. If it is possible, i would suggest you try to make an appointment with the Housing Officer of your local authority- best if you do this through a local Councillor (as I am assuming you are not eligible or wish to be considered for Social Housing etc.).

Explain to the Councillor that you are particularly interested in the Affordable Housing option and wish to discuss same and your circumstances with a Housing Officer to see what is available to you-remember they also have mortgages and some authorities even have a 'low cost sites scheme' (where you get a cheaper than normal site and build your own house).

Best wishes and get back if you need any help.

Back