Refund of USC on holding Medical Card

gm88

How do you go about getting refund of USC for person with full medical card. Friend has only just realised that she may be paying more USC than necessary.

Does she send off end of year Certs to tax office for them to balance it out? She has informed work for the current tax year, but may have paid too much in 2010 and 2011. She had full card for years, but didn't realise different rates applied with a full card.

Any advise would be appreciated!

in 2010 she would have paid income levy not USC (if she paid anything)as USC was only introduced in 2011. www.revenue.ie has an income levy refund form. complete and post to RC and they will issue. If she paid income levy and had full medical card she will get a refund of all income levy paid.
Re 2011 ring her RC 1890 PAYE line and they should be able to assist. I think they should have a record of who holds medical cards and they obv should have record of USC paid in 2011. They may issue refund simply as a result of phone call, if any refund due. Full medical card holders did not pay 7% USC so if she did she may get refund.

Thank you Irish Spirit. That makes sense now. I remember I submitted a form for refund myself (overpaid- not medical card reason) but couldnt find form for my friend now. I forgot it changed from the levy to USC.

I'll pass on that info & I'd say she is due refund for 2010 alright.

Thanks so much for your helpful response.

Back