Reduced working hours on medical grounds?

coffeefiend

I've recently returned to work after 9 months sick leave. I am still not 100% so i am currently working reduced hours (Co Dr felt i was able for this). I have always worked full time and now it looks likely that i will never be able to work fulltime again (Co occupational dr in agreement). Just wondering if the Co have to facilitate reduced hours or what will happen?
I know of previous instances in the Co where they have offered voluntarily redundancy rather than facilitating the part-time option. Would i be required to accept this and if I did would I be entitled to negotiate? It's just such a worry at this point which isn't helping me get better. We were hoping to apply for a mortgage in the next couple of years so I just worry if I was to leave (i currently have nearly 10 years service) would my chances be scuppered even though I'd have a nice lump sum from redundancy? I just want to be prepared before HR approach me.
Many thanks for any advice..

Hi Coffeefiend, I am afraid I have no good news for you. Companies have the right not to allow you to return to work from sick leave unless you are fit to carry the full range of duties. If light duties are made available to you, your company is being more than fair. I hope you recover from whatever illness.
Regards
Lep

Thank you Leper. I agree they are being very good to me. I just worry about what is coming down the track...

If you retire or will be retired on grounds of ill health you would fare better than you might think. Usually, there is added service for such retirements for pension purposes. In the public service this can be up to seven years depending on your service (you won't get seven years added to your ten years; it's pro rata). Outside of the public service you probably will fare better.

I know people who were retired on health grounds and most of them changed course and ran out well for the rest of their days. The move might not be as negative as you feel at the moment.

Hi Coffeefiend, I am afraid I have no good news for you. Companies have the right not to allow you to return to work from sick leave unless you are fit to carry the full range of duties. If light duties are made available to you, your company is being more than fair. I hope you recover from whatever illness.
Regards
Lep
Not necessarily true. If your current status meets the definition of 'disability' under the Employment Equality Acts, you have a legal entitlement to any 'reasonable accommodation' required arising from your disability. The law is not explicit about what accomodations are reasonable, as it would depend on the role and the organisation. However, reduced hours would be a fairly common reasonable accommodation.

Back