Recommended BER upgrades for home we are purchasing - impact of not getting heat pump

ddraws

Just gone sale agreed on a home. The BER is currently a D1 with potential for A3 after upgrades.
Standard upgrades are recommended - external doors, windows double glazing, attic insulation, wall insulation and heat pump.
I am happy to undertake all these works as specified in the advisory report but I do not wish to install a heat pump. The home is gas fired with an efficient boiler and I have heard negatives about heat pump efficiency when it comes to retrofitted homes and it is also costly. However I understand that I would need to get the home to at least a B2 to get grants and to comply with building regs if doing external insulation.
How do I identify what the BER impact will be if I do all the upgrades but dont get the heat pump? If I dont get the heat pump would I still reach B2? The cert contains the assessors number, can they answer this for me even though the seller was the client?

Any number of BER companies will do a provisional Cert based on works you intend to carry out, before you do them. There is no inspection or quality control around BER result, it's a formula - you enter what materials are in use and are intended to be used and it spits out the BER. So someone should absolutely be able to give you a provisional BER before doing the work so you know if you will end up with a B2. We did this recently - same situation as you, PM me for the name of the crowd that did it for us. The architect was the one who guided us on how much we'd need to do to get to B2 without the heat pump.

The following would give you an idea of the impact of different measures on the BER

Probably not as good as a professional carrying out a full assessment but it will give you a quick answer.

Thanks, other forums mandate PMs, but we prefer to see them publicly here which saves us all reading lots of 'please PM me the details' posts and saves you responding to them :)

Back