Recommendations for Portable WIFI in Ireland for tourists

frankde

Hi,
I plan to visit Ireland in July for 2 weeks and would like to use a portable WIFI device when travelling. The rental car company offered one for a flat fee of 300 Euro which I will skip on as its too expensive...
Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations?

A search shows the following but I am not sure how reliable these are and what the coverage is like...

Thanks

Almost every cafe / accommodation has free wifi these days.

If your phone has dual sim capacity, you could consider buying a local sim & using that.

Alternatively, look at eSIMs - theres several on the market.

I assume he wants to hotspot multiple devices, tablet, laptop, phone etc. an/or others in his party.

Get an old unlocked phone and order a prepaid sim off three.ie or Vodafone.ie . I think both carriers support esims if you device supports it. If due to logistics can't order then try amazon.com for prepaided sims that sold via 3rd parties.

An Irish sim can roam in other eu countries with out extra charges but data is limited to 21gb outside your home country per month.

I surmise the OP is outside EU & roaming costs would be prohibitive.
yes exactly I will be travelling from Asia, and am concerned about the roaming costs. Also as I only have a company phone I will not be bringing this anyway, so was looking for a pocket wifi device

I assume he wants to hotspot multiple devices, tablet, laptop, phone etc. an/or others in his party.
yes, will be travelling quiet a bit and would like my daughter to be able to connect her tablet device to WIFI when travelling

As said before; almost everywhere has free wifi these days, even trains and buses.
Not much good when they're on the road in the rental car and forget to download offline maps or want to look something up. Most public wifi is crap, and also opens you up to others snooping on your activity, potentially even grabbing passwords.

With a basic phone and vodafone pay as you go, 20 Euro will get you free calls an texts and more relevantly 10 gig of data that can be used (data can be used in Europe) Other phone providers have similar packages. The 10gig/package lasts 28 days and then you need to top up with another 20 Euro, but remaining data from just the previous 28 days will be carried over. From the phone you can set it up as a hot spot or tether it to other devices. However, you'll need a phone. The cheapest vodafone samsung smart phone is 139 Euro - https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/phones/s...?gallery=payg&productClass=SmartPhone&fg=true . But there are other phones that could be used that are cheaper. You probably already have one that could be unlocked to be used so you'll only need a sim (Free) + package.

Most of the networks here have similar type packages where you're not tied in to a contract and you just update monthly as needed, the 48 mobile suggested above looks cheaper - 12.99.

Roaming across UK/EU isn't a problem if you're travelling.

I used an virtual e-sim in South East Asia (App - airalo). You can buy 2 GB to use for 15 days at a cost of $7.00. This should be plenty with free WIFI available in Hotels, Buses etc. You can buy up to 20GB if needed.

Back