Recommendations for a mechanic to check a used car?

Marianne

I'm considering buying a used car from a car-lot in Dublin 12. Would like to get it checked out by a mechanic first. I know the AA offer this service but they cost €375.00 inc. VAT, require 2-3 days notice and require access to a ramp, which I don't think the yard can or will provide.

Anyone recommend someone who does this privately? I'm reluctant to pick one from the ads in Buy and Sell as I'd prefer some form of recommendation at least.

Thanks.

Marianne,

My mechanic is based in Tallaght and had always been most helpful in all matters mechanical. I dont know if he provides this type of service but you could try him. I trust him completely and can honestly say that he has never "fleeced" me or anyone I have sent to him. PM me if you would like his number.

BTW, I have no affiliation with this garage just always happy with the service.

You could also try Carcheck. (1850 909090)
Can ususally do checks at fairly short notice and a lot cheaper than AA.

Have used them before and would recommend them.

Thanks guys.

Gave Car Check a ring and have been impressed so far. Costs €150.00 for a 250-point check for a car in Dublin. Arranged for the inspection on Wednesday morning. I'll post how I get on.

Thanks guys.

Gave Car Check a ring and have been impressed so far. Costs €150.00 for a 250-point check for a car in Dublin. Arranged for the inspection on Wednesday morning. I'll post how I get on.

So, how did you get on with Carcheck Marianne?

Excellent. Bernard from Car Check rang me yesterday afternoon with some very useful verbal opinions on the car. He's following up with a written report. As it happens, he's advising me not to buy for various reasons, which is disappointing as I was getting excited but I'm certainly glad to be told now rather than later.

Very pleased with the service from Car Check.

Hi Folks, would appreciate if you could put a review of carcheck on my site [broken link removed], have had a number of people looking for a recommendation of a good company/person who does vehicle checks and not as expensive as AA etc..

Out of interest, did you buy the car that he looked over in the end?

Do you mean me or the OP?

Personally, I have bought two cars that Carcheck looked at for me. There were also two others that they looked at that I didn't buy due to the results of their inspection.

Can anyone tell me if car check are still in existance. Their website appears to be down.

Do they undertake car inspections in the Dublin area.

Paul

Don't know about site but yes, they will look at pretty much any car in any part of the country.

Hi there, does anyone have recent contact details for carcheck ireland - the website is down so I am not sure if they are still in operation or who to contact. Any info greatly appreciated!

A search for "car check ireland" brings up this. I have no idea if they are related. I have no affiliation to either site.

Thanks Mathepac, I did see that website but it seems to be just a background paper check. I'm looking for somewhere reliable that checks the mechanics of the car. I believe the AA used to do it but were very expensive.

Hi there, does anyone have recent contact details for carcheck ireland - the website is down so I am not sure if they are still in operation or who to contact. Any info greatly appreciated!

Still in existence deedee - I spoke to Bernard not that long ago.

Ongoing website problems but don't let that put you off - give him a call 1850 909090. Very thorough mechanical check.

He is very good, nearly too good. Don't set your heart on anything until he gives you his report, I am convinced he would find fault with a model rolling off the production line :p

Oh yeah, Bernard is still there and doing absolutely fantastic job, just used his services today to check the car i wanted to buy. Absolute professional, highly recommend him.

Back