recommendation & cost to felt & re-slate roof

atari icon

could anyone recommend a roofer that would felt & re-slate the pitched roof of a small 2 storey terraced house (approx. 260 sq ft plan area) in north dublin city.

i'm really looking for a personal recommendation as it seems this particular area has the potential for dodgy tradespeople (a lot of the numbers we've tried from the golden pages are no longer connected).

also, if anyone knew the ballpark cost of this (to the nearest €5k?) i'd be enormously grateful.

thanks in advance.

ps. i've already ready the roofing key post (http://www.askaboutmoney.com/archive/index.php/t-2827.html) but i was wondering if anyone had more up to date information.

have found out we might get away with just felting the roof - presumably this means removing the tiles, felting and putting the original tiles back on. anyone know if this makes things cheaper/easier?

Re-felting would probably not be cheaper option, as the roof slates would have to be carefully removed, stored and then re fixed. If you had damage you may find it difficult to replace with a similar salvaged product.

we did manage to get this successfully done in the end (roofer has just finished). he re-used the existing tiles and bought some salvage ones to replace any that got broken in the process.

it ended up costing 3k. we had gotten quotes for 8k and 6k from people who didn't want to re-use the existing tiles.

Back