Recommend which small car?

Thanks for all the suggestions!!!!!! For someone who really hasn't got a clue, they have been a great help. I reckon I'll be looking come January :)

A friend of mine bought a Suzuki Liana.

It's Japanese but not as high profile as Toyota or Nissan.

Got a great deal for on a 2006 car which is still very fresh and probably won't need any work for another few years. ( Japanese heritage etc.)

Low price will probably be reflected in resale in the future though.

(Also, very boring zzzzzzzzzzz);)

Starting to look around now. I am still looking at the average smaller cars but what do you think of the Opel Astra 1.4? Its the biggest size I'd consider but it seems very nice. Any bad reports about it? I have seen this one [broken link removed]

Any thoughts?

I have the Opel Astra sport, my favourite car ;) although i would say the sports model in it consumes an awful lot of petrol due to all the extra bodywork on the car and the special exhaust. They are lovely looking and i wouldnt trade mine for the world (especially since it took me a year to find) i still would be extremely weary of their fuel consumption.

Starting to look around now. I am still looking at the average smaller cars but what do you think of the Opel Astra 1.4? ...
Why would you buy a car made by a company (General Motors) thats gone bust and that none seems to want to buy?

There are lots of other cars out there that are better.

Why would you buy a car made by a company (General Motors) thats gone bust and that none seems to want to buy?

There are lots of other cars out there that are better.
How is that relevant?

1) If you have no remaining warranty the company's position makes no difference. The garages are still open and parts will always be available

2) The Astra (particularily the three door) is one of the nicest looking smaller cars and I have yet to hear a bad report about it

It is a perfectly good option IMO.

Honda Jazz.

Great small car loads of space holds it value nothing goes wrong with them.

Parts are a bit expensive though

How is that relevant?

1) If you have no remaining warranty the company's position makes no difference. The garages are still open and parts will always be available

2) The Astra (particularily the three door) is one of the nicest looking smaller cars and I have yet to hear a bad report about it

It is a perfectly good option IMO.

Theres seems to be issue with CIM failing. I know people who have had issues with ECU/CIM/Starter issues with the last and current Astra. I can't stand the daft indicators myself.

A friend of mine bought a Suzuki Liana.

It's Japanese but not as high profile as Toyota or Nissan.

Got a great deal for on a 2006 car which is still very fresh and probably won't need any work for another few years. ( Japanese heritage etc.)

Low price will probably be reflected in resale in the future though.

(Also, very boring zzzzzzzzzzz);)

Suzuki Liana a great car I have one for 3 years would defo buy another suzuki

Ok, I officially don't like car shopping when there isn't much jumping out at you! LOL Anyway, had a look around a few places on Saturday and can't say I was overwhelmed with the amount of choice out there!

What do ye think of an MG ZR 1.4? I know, company gone but thats affecting a good few makes these days so really, the issue is about parts and general relieability of the model itself. Of what was available, this was the best deal for year and mileage etc so that alone made it a consideration.

Basically, I'm looking for something not too huge physically, up to about a 1.4lt, ideally no older that 03/04 and coming in at about E4,500! No Micras or Puntos please - or saloons :) It would be nice to have something a bit sportier than the basic runaround type of car if that was possible! :)

I had a cinquecento for 8 years and changed last year to a Toyoto Aygo - budget price car, very reliable, A rated so low car tax. Not as nippy as the Cinquecento but does the job. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Basically, I'm looking for something not too huge physically, up to about a 1.4lt, ideally no older that 03/04 and coming in at about E4,500!

That would limit you a bit for a start.

It would be nice to have something a bit sportier than the basic runaround type of car if that was possible! :)

Depending on exactly wht you mean by sporty, given the year/engine size and budget I think you might find it difficult to get what you want.

Might just get an 03 1.4 3 door Civic for €4500 - ish.

Reliable, good to drive, roomy (for it's class) and fairly nippy/sporty.

I had a cinquecento for 8 years and changed last year to a Toyoto Aygo - budget price car, very reliable, A rated so low car tax. Not as nippy as the Cinquecento but does the job. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Just to finish up this thread.....I ended up getting a Seat Ibiza 1.2 Just need to get used to the new size and turning points etc now!

Back