Recommend which small car?

rabbits

Howdy,

As the market for 2nd hand cars seems to be dropping dramatically I'm thinking it could be a good time to get something a bit newer. I have a 97 Cinqucento. Grand car, runs well etc but I'm thinking I'd like something a bit better. I think I'd rather stay smallish so I don't want a Mondeo or anything of that sort but don't have any knowledge of what I should be considering.

If I was looking around the up to about 1.3ltr market (really, I only use it around Dublin on relatively short trips).....any recommendations? I was thinking about a 4 year old car give or take. In other words, I'm not fanatical about cars but yes, would like something that looks nice too!

Also Rabbits, are you male or female do you mind me asking? (May have a bearing on the recommendations)

Oh yes, should have included that! I'm not really sure to be honest although I know thats not a helpful answer!!!!! I suppose about E5,000 and just looking for a runaround. I looked at carzone and there seemed to be loads of cars of different types for about E2,500 to E3,500

LOL True! Female. Probably explains why I don't already have a type of car in mind.

Also....and possibly even more importantly....are there any types I should stay away from?

From a quick look on carzone, you could get any of the following cars with a 2005 reg for under €6K (engine size in brackets):

Fiat Punto (1.2)
Fiat Panda (1.1)
Ford Ka (1.3)
Nissan Micra (1.2)
Opel Corsa (1.2)

The Ka is probably the nicest looking of those but is pretty dated and is being replaced next year. Nissan is boring but reliable. Don't know about Corsa. Panda has the best reputation of those, but might be a bit boring for you.

What's your idea of a good-looking car?

LOL True! Female. Probably explains why I don't already have a type of car in mind.

Also....and possibly even more importantly....are there any types I should stay away from?

In general the cars with poorest reliability records are french (peugeot, renault, citroen) and alfa romeo (unfortunately, as they are lovely cars).

Something that looks a bit more up to date than what I have at the moment I suppose. Didn't Punto's have a bad reputation with the engine needing constant repair after a few years?

... Also....and possibly even more importantly....are there any types I should stay away from?
British, French, American and Italian (cars that is) and more importantly check out who you are buying from.

As a general rule buy German or Japanese, but with a limited budget, your options are restricted. First thoughts would be for a Toyota Yaris petrol.

Nissan is boring but reliable.

Completely disagree.

Have you driven a Micra - in particular the 1.2 16v?

For what it is, not at all boring - in fact, fun to drive with good handling.

Easily the best to drive out of the ones you listed IMO. And yes, very reliable.

Didn't Punto's have a bad reputation with the engine needing constant repair after a few years?
A Punto will break your heart. This question has been asked many times on AAM. The usual suggestions are something like . . Jap car (Yaris, Micra) or one from the VW stable (Polo, Skoda Fabia, maybe a Seat Ibiza) but not a Punto/Fiat under any circumstances. If I were buying a small car today I'd be looking at a Corolla or Yaris or a Fabia.

Hi, have a look at the smart car 700cc (65 to the gallon) cheap tax / insurance my wife loves hers

Thanks for the tips! I'll start keeping an eye out.

If I bought from a garage, should I expect the garage to take my car in as scrappage? Would that be a charge or part of buying the newer car?

After having the cinqucento for about 5 years I think I want something a bit different so I don't think I'd be interested in Ka's or the smart cars.

Had a ford Ka few years ago when I started driving. Only kept it for few months as only two doors. Real pain for putting books/people in the back.

Had a fiesta each year from 01 to 06, except 05 when I tried a peugeot 206. I only kept her for 6 months as like driving a hairdryer, no push at all in her. very disappointing as lovely body, spoiler etc.

Never had one problem with any fiesta. Lovely boot space for a small car.

Changed car there to Kia Rio saloon. Very powerful and solid. Heard alot people comment on Kia as being budget car. I love this car so far anyways. Kia do small car - picanto.

Auto Xchange in Galway are doing great deals on older cars as tradeins. Cant remeber them but think u get €4000 for it.

Good luck wih ur purchase.

Yaris, Micra or Fiesta are the pick of the bunch. Have a look and choose which suits you best

Back